Please Support BIOS RAID Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure, but maybe in proxmox2 (debian squeeze), it's was dmraid for softraid management and in proxmox3 (wheezy) is mdadm.

maybe mdadm can't read yet the metadata write by your bios.

(A fake software raid bios, just write raid configuration on the disk, then the controller driver inside os will read this infos. If the driver is too old, the 2 disks will be expose instead raid config)

So it had support at some time and then removed. That's what OP sees in newer/older PVE installations.

However, when I'm creating a mirror with mdadm, I learned to never create a simple mirror but a RAID10 with f2 layout. It's a special configuration supported with at least 2 disks, and provides balancing of stripe reads between the 2 disks, resulting in almost the same read performance a RAID0 setup provides plus improved seek times and consequently better IOPS. This is not something a BIOS-initiated software RAID can provide, I assume - another reason to ditch it entirely. An example of a relevant mdadm command looks something like this:
Code:
mdadm --create --level=10 --raid-devices=2 --layout=f2 /dev/md0 /dev/sd[ab]1

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!