Pinging vm on node1 -> vm on node2

barhoumania

Jun 17, 2024
Hello friends;

i have bought two bare metals from OVH and on each bare metal i have installed proxmox ;
after that i created a Data Center with the two nodes ;

Each node has its own public ip + i have created some vlans and private network so i can assign ips to VMs to access to net. everything is working so well.

PROBLEM: My problem now is that i want the vms on node 1 ping vm on node 2 and vise versa ;
i dont have any switch nor hub. how can i fix the problem?

Please can any one help me ?
Thanks in advance

Please note that ping is not the best way to test IP reachability because based on the default settings of different OS / firewall / ... the target VM can be reachable but maybe filter out incoming ping requests.

If these VM's are Linux with SSH server on them a better test could be trying to SSH from one to the other and the other way around.

More info about the network structure would also help narrowing the problem :
- config of vmbr's ? VLAN aware ? linked to what interface of the server ?
- what are the tagged / untagged VLAN's on the PVE side ?
- same question on the switch side ?
- what purpose for each VLAN + IP range and gateway ?

The content of /etc/network/interfaces + VLAN plan would be a good starting point IMHO.

Have a nice day,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!