Physical and logical set up for PBS

yancho

Nov 4, 2021
Hi,

I am setting up my Proxmox environment. Was thinking of the below:

Proxmox VE server
i7 & 32GB Ram / 1x 256 M.2 SSD LVM Cache / Software raid: 2 x 6TB 7200rpm desktop 3.5" disks (mirrored) - LVM ext4 / 1x512 M.2 SSD ext4 for VMs

Options:
  1. Run PBS as a VM on the i7 and use a Raspberry Pi / Odroid H2+ with 1x 6TB 7200rpm desktop 3.5" disks offsite
    1. Do weekly backups of all VMs (except Seafile VM) and store a copy on the local LVM and on the offsite disk
    2. Do a daily incremental backup of the Seafile VM (which will be my NAS)
  2. OR: use an old ESPRIMO Q520, i3 4350T, 4GB and install PBS on it (on a 500GB HDD), and put the 1x6TB in a USB3 encloser. Run the below:
    1. Do weekly backups of all VMs (except Seafile VM) and store a copy on the physical server's local LVM and on the offsite disk
    2. Do a daily incremental backup of the Seafile VM (which will be my NAS)
    3. If I go this route, ideally, do a shutdown after the daily task and switch on the PC automatically (hopefully the bios supports auto power on electricity! cannot find anything in the manual :(

Thoughts? Which option do you suggest? I'm aware PBS as a VM is frowned upon. In my use case would it matter?

Hi,
PBS is very intensive in I/O, specially in tasks like the garbage collector (GC). This can lead to very log run cycles for the GC in the future.

Maybe another option can be use PBS as a VM to take advantage of the better I/O of your server and rsync the datastore directory to you USB drive for have an external copy of your PBS data.

So your recommendation is to go for option 1. And the remote backup will be a Raspberry Pi or H2+ with Debian on it and ssh into it with rsync?

No, if you have enough disk space in the Proxmox Server, install PBS on it (you can have Proxmox and PBS installed in the same host) and make the backups over the server disks and then make a sync job over the remote PBS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!