Permission Issue Error on Garbage Collection

james9911

Nov 13, 2020
Datastore: datastore1

Garbage collection failed: cannot continue garbage-collection safely, permission denied on: /tmp/mc-root

Please visit the web interface for futher details:

Having installed this i keep running into permission issues. I can chnage the permissions but there is obviously something fundamentally wrong with my config.

Any suggestions please?

James

Hi,

/tmp directory contains mostly files that are required temporarily. Many programs use this to create lock files and for temporary storage of data. Do not remove files from this directory unless you know exactly what you are doing! Many of these files are important for currently running programs and deleting them may result in a system crash.

follow this post [1] if your data are important.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/pbs-error-permission-denied-on-etc-ssl-private.79004/post-349995

I changed the permission setting to 777 on one folder above and it failed on another one.
I dsont want to change permissions though I assume I have a setting wrong.
There is only one user for the datastore. Does GC run as root?

check the other thread - your datastore is likely setup with a wrong path. you want a directory just for usage as datastore, not pointing the datastore at some existing system directory..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!