PCIE passthrough NIC (SFP+ card) - very slow performance

andro0

Jul 13, 2021
Here's what I have:

Proxmox installed on a very powerful machine (RAM/CPU-wise). I have granted generous amount of CPU + RAM to pfSense guest.

Now I have a 10gb uplink 9000 MTU connection for WAN. It's fiber / SFP+. I am doing full PCIe passthrough. (all functions of card selected, PCIe selected)

Everything seems to be choppy. Download speed is almost capped at 600Mbps-ish, upload is capped almost at 200Mbps-ish. It should be at least 940/940 (have done the test with a laptop, bypassing Proxmox+pfSense)

I have TSO, LRO boxes checked in pfSense, they are disabled. I have set MTU to 9000, I do pciconf -lv in pfSense and can clearly see PCIE devices.

I have been trying many many things, nothing works. Virtualization shouldn't really have this much effect especially since I'm doing PCIe passthrough, but it does. Something is off. What am I missing? My machine type is q35 and I defined the CPU type manually (AMD Rome) and my pfSense shows hardware crypto is enabled as well.

Still everything is slow. Any suggestions for me?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!