Gen the Cat

Feb 13, 2022
I bought a Dell Broadcom 5719 HY7RM Quad Port 1GB NIC PCIe Full Height Ethernet Adapter to use for setting up pfsense.

However, installing the card into my server causes it to lose all networking capability. The nic integrated into my motherboard worked fine, but no longer works while the Broadcom nic is plugged in. removing the nic and rebooting solves the issue, but of course I'd like to be able to use this nic.

After removing the card I tried: "apt install firmware-bnx2" (firmware for the card) but in doing so, apt attempts to remove the the proxmox-ve package, which does not work. I do have non-free repositories added to my apt sources.

I tried changing my bridge-ports to enp3s0 from enp2s0 (not sure if this was a good idea in troubleshooting. Did not work so I changed it back)

I used this guide in an attempt to troubleshoot, specifically the steps posted by nick58b:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2078320&page=2

I am using tg3-3.137y instead of tg3-3.124c described in this guide, as far as I understand 3.137y is the version I need for my nic.

Everything worked fine, however when getting to the, "sudo dkms build -m tg3 -v 3.124c" step, I get this error

I'll also attach a few files here that contain relevant information to my machine.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte ATX Socket AM3+ AMD 970 Chipset board.

I'm quite green to Linux in general, main purpose here is just to learn. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• build error.jpg
    build error.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Info0.jpg
    Info0.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Info1.jpg
    Info1.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Info2.jpg
    Info2.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 21
  • info3.jpg
    info3.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 29
However, installing the card into my server causes it to lose all networking capability. The nic integrated into my motherboard worked fine, but no longer works while the Broadcom nic is plugged in. removing the nic and rebooting solves the issue, but of course I'd like to be able to use this nic.
Adding new PCIe card will change the name of your NICs. Your onboard NIC will for example then be called "enp3s0" instead of "enp2s0" and then your existing network configuration won'T work any longer, until you edit your "/etc/network/interfaces" replacing all occurences of the old name with the new name. After changing the NIC names in your cnfig files you can run a systemctl restart networking and your PVE with onboard NIC should work again.

You can run ip addr to see what your NICs are called right now.

Last edited:
Adding new PCIe card will change the name of your NICs. Your onboard NIC will for example then be called "enp3s0" instead of "enp2s0" and then your existing network configuration won'T work any longer, until you edit your "/etc/network/interfaces" replacing all occurences of the old name with the new name. After changing the NIC names in your cnfig files you can run a systemctl restart networking and your PVE with onboard NIC should work again.

You can run ip addr to see what your NICs are called right now.
Okay, that got my onboard nic running normally again.

Still having trouble getting my 4-port card to work, though. I went through and set up /etc/network/interfaces the best that I could figure out how to. Additionally will show what systemctl spits out when I restart networking when hooked into it.

Attachments

• info4.jpg
    info4.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 39
  • info5.jpg
    info5.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 41

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!