PBS Backup a MacBook?

there is no mac client yet..

Does this mean it is in the works or will be in the works?
No that I know.

A Mac client will be really appreciated by a lot of people.
Really? So far I see just a few requests. I doubt that a commandline open source backup tool for OSX will get a huge userbase.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tmanok and flames
a Mac/Windows port is a lot more work than just "recompiling" for that platform - those OS use different APIs for file access and attributes, locking, .., and use different file systems by default. given that we still have a lot of other plans for PBS as well, it's not super high on the TODO list (the cost/benefit ratio isn't there yet).

Reactions: j.io and flames
Understood - but I would also like to vote for a Mac client. Command-line based is perfectly fine, everyone hating the command-line will use other tools than PVE and PBS I guess.

I once thought that this was silly, but I've since come to realize that a MacOS client would benefit multiple clients of mine. Currently they use Time Machine (old and imperfect), or Duplicati (unstable and slow). If a MacOS client were made, even if it was CLI and shipped with homebrew (GitHub), I think a lot of people would grab ahold of it.

Windows has a lot of bloaty/hacky free software to choose from or a load of paid solutions, at this point they can suffer for being Windows users lol.

Tmanok

Reactions: Sp00nman
Mac users tend to look for non-Windows solutions like pve. If you're a sysadmin trying to build a simple IT environment around Macs, it would be great to have virtualization and backup from one source. That's why I think a pbs client for Mac would be perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tmanok
+1 for the Mac client, install with command line isn't an issue as Proxmox admins are already used to it

a Mac/Windows port is a lot more work than just "recompiling" for that platform - those OS use different APIs for file access and attributes, locking, .., and use different file systems by default. given that we still have a lot of other plans for PBS as well, it's not super high on the TODO list (the cost/benefit ratio isn't there yet).
On the topic of file systems, with APFS, snapshots are a native feature in the file system, so the solution might be made a lot easier. Additionally, Timemachine has been designed to make use of these snapshots so perhaps it could be leveraged with the MacOS client? Might be a good idea to restrict PBS Client to versions of MacOS only using APFS for that reason as the older HFS+ does not have those snapshot capabilities to the best of my knowledge. Another thought, as Timemachine might be a bit restrictive, you may find that it is too limited for your purposes.

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2...e-system-snapshots-for-startup-drive-backups/
https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/81171

Cheers,

Tmanok

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!