Patch an upstream kernel driver. What's the best way? Proxmox Kernel Sources anywhere?

rkk2025

Jul 11, 2018
Hi,
I'm trying to patch a upstream kernel driver (ath.ko). Doing so should be fairly easy even though it seems a bit clumsy. It requires to install the "linux-sources" package from APT, extract the kernel source file that gets downloaded with it, patch it, compile the module and install the patched module. The issue I have is that the kernel-sources downloaded by the "linux-sources" package seems to be from a completely different kernel version nor it seems to be the "-pve" kind of kernel. I tried searching for the git repository but I only found this repo https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-kernel.git;a=summary which seems to be including only the patches applied to the kernel.

Is there any way I can find the real "-pve" kernel sources? Or is there a better way to patch an upstream kernel driver?

Please note: With kernel sources I mean the kernel sources and not the kernel headers. The "linux-headers" package does download the proper "-pve" kernel headers.

which seems to be including only the patches applied to the kernel.
the 'real' source is included as git submodules. a 'git submodule update --init --recursive' should checkout the relevant git repositories

Hi @dcsapak ,
I'm getting an exception while the modules are checking out:

error: Server does not allow request for unadvertised object 49ccb5a45b29094a53b29ee49b8c9f9f985bb23a
Fetched in submodule path 'submodules/ubuntu-disco', but it did not contain 49ccb5a45b29094a53b29ee49b8c9f9f985bb23a. Direct fetching of that commit failed.

Is there something special that needs to happen for this to work?
Thanks.

Thank you a lot @dcsapak. All seems to be working fine now. Got the modules compiled now and everything seems to be working fine.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!