Passthrough of onboard SATA controller on AMD B550/X570

AnK

Dec 28, 2021
Hi,

in my current setup on Intel C236 chipset with Xeon CPU I do a PCI passthrough of the on-board SATA controller to a TrueNAS VM, which works really great.

I think about to replace the system with AMD hardare (Ryzen Pro with B550/X570) but I had read, that it maybe not possible to passthrough the integraded SATA controller to a VM with the AMD chipset, because of IOMMU groups and so on.

Have anyone running a similar setup?
Maybe with a ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming or ASRock x570 pro4 mainboard?

Thanks

Except for the X570 (and X570S), all motherboard SATA controllers are part of the big Ryzen chipset IOMMU group, which prevents passthrough (unless you use the pcie_acs_override and forgo VM security isolation). I upgraded from an ASRock X470 to a GigaByte X570S and the groups are so much better (and I can choose the boot GPU in the BIOS from any PCIe slot).

Reactions: _gabriel
OK, what is the name of your board and is it capable to pass the SATA controller/ports through to a VM?

OK, what is the name of your board and is it capable to pass the SATA controller/ports through to a VM?
They are in a separate IOMMU group but I don't know if they reset properly and I can't test because I need them for the Proxmox host, sorry. There have been reports of SATA controllers that didn't work inside VMs on this forum.

Reactions: AnK

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!