Pass storage backed mount point to LXC container

l-warlok

Apr 18, 2023
I'm trying to pass through an existing LV to a container. I believe this means I need to use an image based, storage backed mountpoint as described here, which mentions a special syntax for creating a new LV, but there is no mention of the option to mount an existing LV.

I have created a new 10gb LV, formatted with ext4, for testing this configuration called lvol1, which exists on the thinDataLV thinpool, on the bigData VG.

When I try to mount this using pct the output is:
Code:
pct set 104 -mp1 bigData-thinpool:lvol1,mp=/mnt/test
Could not rescan volume size - unable to parse lvm volume name 'lvol1'

If I rescan the volumes attached to vm 104:

Code:
pct rescan --vmid 104
rescan volumes...
CT 104: updated volume size of 'bigData-thinpool:lvol1' in config.
The size is updated to 0T
Code:
mp1: bigData-thinpool:lvol1,mp=/mnt/test,size=0T

When i run the container:
Code:
lxc-start -n 104 -F
lxc-start: 104: ../src/lxc/conf.c: run_buffer: 322 Script exited with status 9
lxc-start: 104: ../src/lxc/start.c: lxc_init: 844 Failed to run lxc.hook.pre-start for container "104"
lxc-start: 104: ../src/lxc/start.c: __lxc_start: 2027 Failed to initialize container "104"
lxc-start: 104: ../src/lxc/tools/lxc_start.c: main: 306 The container failed to start

The output of lvs is
Code:
 LV             VG      Attr       LSize    Pool       Origin    Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert   
 lvol1          bigData Vwi-a-tz--   10.00g thinDataLV           0.73                                     
 thinDataLV     bigData twi-aotz--    3.61t                      6.67   0.91

Is it possible to pass an existing LV through to a container like this? If so, how?

Hi,

Code:
lxc-start: 104: ../src/lxc/conf.c: run_buffer: 322 Script exited with status 9
lxc-start: 104: ../src/lxc/start.c: lxc_init: 844 Failed to run lxc.hook.pre-start for container "104"
lxc-start: 104: ../src/lxc/start.c: __lxc_start: 2027 Failed to initialize container "104"
lxc-start: 104: ../src/lxc/tools/lxc_start.c: main: 306 The container failed to start

FYI: To get a more detailed error message, you can start the container with pct start VMID -debug 1.

As an alternative to the storage:volume syntax, you could try a device mount point [1] and pass the volume's device path on the host, for example mp0: /dev/mapper/your-mapped-volume-name,mp=/mnt/test.

Hope that helps!

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pct.1.html#_device_mount_points

I'd take a step back and ask *why* you want to do that, instead of letting PVE allocate and manage the LV?

Reactions: fweber
I'd take a step back and ask *why* you want to do that, instead of letting PVE allocate and manage the LV?
That's a good question and the answer is that I am a noob :oops:

I have data on several existing LVs(created by PVE) that are attached to a VM. I've recently added backups to my homelab and I realised I want to be able to manage LV backup on a more granular level.

My thought was to create an LXC per LV to serve over NFS and move those LVs over to the containers. Then I can back up the LVs individually as required, and the VM will still have access over NFS on the proxmox network bridge.

I could always let PVE create the LV and just copy the data across but I hoped for a more elegant solution as all these LVs are on the same VG and node.

@fweber
I did see the device mount point type but the note says
Code:
Device mount points should only be used under special circumstances. In most cases a storage backed mount point offers the same performance and a lot more features.
so I tried storage backed mount first.

It seems like this is not a standard config. Is there a better way to get granular control over backups of storage that's attached to a VM? Should I even want more control over backups? I think so because I want to back up rarely changing data less often than frequently changing data, but that's just my initial thoughts.

just use PBS, and you get fast incremental deduplicated backups when using VMs ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!