OSD replacement and adding minimizing rebalances

lucaferr

Renowned Member
Jun 21, 2011
Hello! I have a 10 nodes hyperconverged cluster. Each node has 4 OSDs (total 40 OSDs). I have 2 different questions:

QUESTION 1 - OSD REPLACEMENT (with identical SSD)
Since I need to replace an SSD (one OSD has crashed 3 times in latest months so I prefer to replace it with a brand new one) what's the best way to do it without causing rebalancing to other nodes? Since I'll replace it with an identical one I'd like a way to stop every rebalance and just backfill the new OSD once it's been replaced, with the same weight of the old one. Is the following procedure enough or do you suggest something different?
  1. set "norebalance" and "nobackfill"
  2. stop the OSD
  3. mark the OSD out
  4. destroy the OSD
  5. set "noout"
  6. turn off the node, unplug the old OSD, insert the new (identical) OSD, turn on the node
  7. unset "noout"
  8. create the new OSD
  9. unset "norebalance" and "nobackfill"

QUESTION 2 - ADD MULTIPLE OSDs TO THE CLUSTER
I need to add a new node, with 4 news OSDs (2 TB each, all SSDs). Should I create one OSD, wait for rebalance to end, create the second, wait for the rebalance, etc...or create the 4 new OSDs all together? It's a production cluster so I'd like to avoid an excessive rebalance load.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Reactions: jsterr

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!