OPNsense VM - BSD panic

neoplayer

Feb 5, 2023
Hi

New using Proxmox, I have been trying to run OPNsense in a VM, already tried both available bios and machine configuration but the BSD kernel always enters in panic mode. The closest I have gotten to finding the cause of the problem is this post in the lxc forum. But I have not been able to find a way to translate that set of instructions to Proxmox.

Last config file
Code:
balloon: 1024
boot: order=virtio0;ide2
cores: 2
cpu: kvm64,flags=+pcid;+spec-ctrl;+ssbd
hostpci0: 0000:04:00
hotplug: disk,network,usb,memory,cpu
ide2: local:iso/OPNsense-23.1-OpenSSL-dvd-amd64.iso,media=cdrom,size=1600298K
memory: 4096
meta: creation-qemu=7.2.0,ctime=1677754515
name: OPNsense
numa: 1
onboot: 0
ostype: other
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=034a28fc-bdde-4836-92ee-995e204e12b2
sockets: 1
startup: order=1
unused0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-1
virtio0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-0,iothread=1,size=20G
vmgenid: cdab23b6-6e91-4313-b1a6-f0d7f19e2334

Screenshot 2023-03-02 075023.png

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply, tried what you suggested but unfortunately it did not solve the problem. The boot still stops at the same point.

Does it boot with CPU host and removing all the other flags ... flags=+pcid;+spec-ctrl;+ssbd

And without passthrough.

Last edited:
Reactions: neoplayer
Without any flag other than host and without passthrough, still got the same bug. Reading this tutorial, I tried OPENsense 22.7, 22.1.2 and pfSense 2.6.0, with OPENsense both repeated the same bug, this contradicts that it was an issue with only FreeBSD 13.1 and with pfSense it get stuck in netmap queues/slots pfsense at 100% CPU in the VM. So I’m again at square one without any idea what’s happening. At least pfSense passes the CPU recognition, I’m going to debug the new ones, maybe it helps finding something that lets me pass the boot bug in OPENsense.

Well that tutorial is for hyper-v so a little bit different. What are the specs of your proxmox host? Obviously, many of us are running opnsense VMs and pfsense vms , I have been for a couple of years and just did a reinstall for 23.1 to confirm working before I updated my main opnsense router.

Currently using q35 and an efi disk but that's not required.

@vesalius Hi! Sorry for not answering until today, I’m running Proxmox on an Intel i7-7700k. Didn’t have any luck making OPNsense pass the boot bug, but I was able to pass the bug of the pfSense VM, it didn't like having PCI Passthrough.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!