opnsense on Proxmox, replacing Unifi UDR as primary router, is this NIC bridge config right?

sentur

Jan 11, 2023
I'm replacing my broken Unifi UDR with a N100 fanless box running Proxmox 8.2.2 and OPNsense 24.1.

The N100 box has 4x dedicated Intel 226 NICs and 1x Console port.

I have a ADSL2+ modem connected to eth0 as WAN (my internet is 80MbpsDown/16Mbpsup, but planning on getting 1G up/down fibre in the next 2-3 months). In Proxmox I've created a Bridge at the host level and added the three remaining eth1-3 (ensp1s0-ensp3s0 interfaces). So that Proxmox is effectively creating 1x interfaces that acts more like a switch.

OPNsense will then treat anything plugged into eth1-3 on the physical computer as being part of the same network and will issue them IPs from the DHCP. I have 2x UniFi APs that I need to plug into the N100 box and an additional wired Proxmox server running HomeAssistant and other services.

Is this config right? I'm new to running OPNsense as a virtualised device on Proxmox. My plan is to also run the Unifi Controller and later, a Pi-Hole instance on the same N100 / Proxmox Host. I'm also going to expand to get a PoE switch in about 1-2 months time. Which I'll be plugging the Unifi APs and sever into.

Also, is there a way to be able to use / incorporate the Console port, either into OPNsense or as a backup to be able to get to the Proxmox WebGUI? It looks like the connection is an RJ45.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!