openvswitch packages not avail. in proxmox buster repo

pocok

Dec 6, 2019
Hello,

I have noticed that the openvswitch-* packages are not available in the proxmox buster repo (there are avail. in the jessie repo though). Is this something intentional. Currently there is only one way to install openvswitch into buster, from the official debian repos, but that's not recommended, as the package from there is not working. Or changing buster repo to jessie...

Thank You,

At the time Proxmox VE 6.0 was developed the openvswitch packages from Debian were recent enough to work with the PVE stack. So we did not repackaged them intentionally after testing them.

Now there would be a few newer packages available, but do you actually have problems with the currently available set or is this just asking?

Or changing buster repo to jessie...
please don't do that.

Yes, I actually installed the version from the vanilla debian buster repository, but that made my host unreachable after applying the settings. The bridge or the interfaces didn't go up. I haven't troubleshooted it tbh., I just went back to the default Linux bridge configuration.

After that I have read in other posts that the openvswitch-switch package in the debian repos is broken/outdate, that doesn't work with proxmox, and I should install the one from the proxmox repos (setting up apt properly to that repo of course).

I tried the above last week, still with proxmox 6.0.x. I actually updated yesterday to 6.1, but haven't tried installing openvswitch back to test it again. Not sure what to do now. I would only need the package to have port mirroring functionality set up for ntop.

please don't do that.

Oh, I won't, I won't :)

After that I have read in other posts that the openvswitch-switch package in the debian repos is broken/outdate, that doesn't work with proxmox, and I should install the one from the proxmox repos (setting up apt properly to that repo of course).

They shouldn't be broken in 6.X, yet at least :)

Not sure what to do now. I would only need the package to have port mirroring functionality set up for ntop.

Hmm, and using native Linux bridges and tc won't do it for you, for example maybe something like this:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/l...eceiving-broadcast-traffic.47395/#post-223258

If this can work for your usecase, I'd prefer it over OVS.

If this can work for your usecase, I'd prefer it over OVS.

Hello,

Fair point, of course. I'll try your suggestion to make it work with Linux bridge only. AFAIK there is no performance benefit for OVS vs Linux bridge. Last case I'll try to install OVS on 6.1 if that won't work out.

Thank You,
"Taschenratte" :)

Hello, my curiosity just din't le me, so I gave one more chance to the debian repo based openvswitch-switch package, this time on proxmox 6.1.x. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Perhaps someone else can confirm this? Even after a full reboot, and both the vmbrX and ethX (which is bridged to vmbrX) are up, but no traffic goes through them.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!