openvpn & containers for beginners

lordcroci

Feb 6, 2018
Hi there,
I am very new to the proxmox world and be honest, it is super!
I would like to set up a vpn to be able to access my proxmox from outside home.. And being a complete newbie I figured out this options:
- configure openvpn inside a container
- install ubuntu or similar into a VM and then set up open vpn
- having xpenology installed into a VM, I could use VPNServer into the xpenology
or.. the last option, but I personally do not like it,
- Install openvpn on my Windows 10 pc and so I will be able to reach proxmox from the outside.. BUT this requires to have my pc always turned on..

Ps: proxmox VE is installed on a HP Microserver gen8 with 16gb ram.. already set up xpenology.
Thanks to everybody,

Lordcroci

Hi Lordcroci,

Did you manage to get OpenVpn going inside LXC? It could be possible that you will need to create a VM running linux and have OpenVPN run in there.

Have fun!
Rares

Hi Lordcroci,

Did you manage to get OpenVpn going inside LXC? It could be possible that you will need to create a VM running linux and have OpenVPN run in there.

Have fun!
Rares
Hi Rares,
Thanks for the reply! Anyway, I found a template with debian-8-turnkey-openvpn-14.0...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!