OpenID Connect login fails (with Keycloak)

DerEnderKeks

Jun 3, 2022
I'm trying to setup OIDC in Proxmox, but I can't get it to work. When I try to login with OIDC I get the error OpenID login failed, please try again authentication failure (401), in the logs of pvedaemon it says openid authentication failure; rhost=xxx msg=Failed to verify ID token: Signature verification failed.
The redirect to Keycloak seems to work just fine and I get redirected back to Proxmox without any errors. Keycloak also didn't log any errors.

Excerpt from domains.cfg
Code:
openid: xxx
        client-id proxmox
        issuer-url https://xxx/realms/xxx
        autocreate 1
        client-key xxx
        default 1
        username-claim preferred_username

I double checked that the secret matches. The client config in Keycloak is basically the default, but with the access type set to confidential.

I'm using:
Keycloak version 18.0.0
Proxmox versions:

Code:
proxmox-ve: 7.2-1 (running kernel: 5.15.35-1-pve)
pve-manager: 7.2-4 (running version: 7.2-4/ca9d43cc)
pve-kernel-5.15: 7.2-3
pve-kernel-helper: 7.2-3
pve-kernel-5.15.35-1-pve: 5.15.35-3
pve-kernel-5.15.30-2-pve: 5.15.30-3
ceph-fuse: 15.2.16-pve1
corosync: 3.1.5-pve2
criu: 3.15-1+pve-1
glusterfs-client: 9.2-1
ifupdown2: 3.1.0-1+pmx3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.4-1
libjs-extjs: 7.0.0-1
libknet1: 1.22-pve2
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.4.2
libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.3.1-1
libpve-access-control: 7.2-1
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.2-1
libpve-common-perl: 7.2-2
libpve-guest-common-perl: 4.1-2
libpve-http-server-perl: 4.1-2
libpve-storage-perl: 7.2-4
libspice-server1: 0.14.3-2.1
lvm2: 2.03.11-2.1
lxc-pve: 4.0.12-1
lxcfs: 4.0.12-pve1
novnc-pve: 1.3.0-3
openvswitch-switch: 2.15.0+ds1-2+deb11u1
proxmox-backup-client: 2.2.1-1
proxmox-backup-file-restore: 2.2.1-1
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.3-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 3.5.1
pve-cluster: 7.2-1
pve-container: 4.2-1
pve-docs: 7.2-2
pve-edk2-firmware: 3.20210831-2
pve-firewall: 4.2-5
pve-firmware: 3.4-2
pve-ha-manager: 3.3-4
pve-i18n: 2.7-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 6.2.0-8
pve-xtermjs: 4.16.0-1
qemu-server: 7.2-3
smartmontools: 7.2-pve3
spiceterm: 3.2-2
swtpm: 0.7.1~bpo11+1
vncterm: 1.7-1
zfsutils-linux: 2.1.4-pve1

Have you solved your problem? I just set it all up and it just worked the first time I tried. Your entry with username-claim solved also the weird username (=internal id) for me

No, unfortunately not. I tried it again right now and it still gives me the same error, even with everything updated. I even recreated the realm in PVE and in Keycloak but it won't work for some reason..
But at least I could help you! ^^

Did you do anything special? I just created the realm in Keycloak and made it confidential. My Proxmox config is still the same as above.

I finally found the solution: Proxmox seems to only like some of the JWT signature algorithms Keycloak supports. When I manually force the `Access token signature algorithm` and `ID token signature algorithm` to be RS256, it works.
Not sure what algorithms are actually supported, but I would really appreciate more helpful error messages (and maybe replies from the Proxmox team ;) ).

Reactions: Mikus
My default algorithm is set to ES256, I think I changed that at some point. Keycloaks' default for that setting appears to be RS256, which would explain why it worked for you, if you didn't change the default.

My default algorithm is set to ES256, I think I changed that at some point. Keycloaks' default for that setting appears to be RS256, which would explain why it worked for you, if you didn't change the default.
Yes, I did not change anything on that front. I have to say that most of the non-default stuff is not well supported in 3rd party applications. I also tried better security of 2FA, which ended up not beeing supported by the 2fa clients/programs I use, so that was also a letdown.

I finally found the solution: Proxmox seems to only like some of the JWT signature algorithms Keycloak supports. When I manually force the `Access token signature algorithm` and `ID token signature algorithm` to be RS256, it works.
Not sure what algorithms are actually supported, but I would really appreciate more helpful error messages (and maybe replies from the Proxmox team ;) ).
The same problem is with LemonLDAP:NG, error: Failed to verify ID token: Signature verification failed

I generated RSA keys for OpenID Connect Service and changed default ID signature algorithm to RS256 for PVE relying party, and error is gone.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!