[SOLVED] OpenID authentication with Microsoft Entra ID (Formerly Azure AD) Error Request failed (500)

ziadarafat

Jul 10, 2024
  • My goal is to setup authentication with Microsoft Entra ID for my organization.
  • I am following the instructions on this older forum post https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/p...id-redirect-failed-request-failed-500.108977/
  • I am also referencing the documentation page https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/User_Management under Authentication Realms - OpenID Connect
  • However when I logout and attempt to login with the Realm it does not redirect to microsft login and it just gives me the error:
    • Code:
      OpenID redirect failed. Request failed (500)
  • here is my configurationScreenshot_20240709_162919.png
  • When I manually access the url with "/.well-known/openid-configuration" at the end I get json data but it looks pretty normal.
    • I don't see any errors at least and it lists information.
  • Is there a way to debug this issue? Has something changed about the process that is not listed in that older forum post?

TL;DR: Fix the DNS settings

We resolved the issue. After carefully reviewing the log files, we identified that there was a DNS error causing the authentication as well as other functions that need the web to not work. The solution was to go to the dashboard of each node and correctly set the DNS server IPs.

The reason it was bad to begin with was because we migrated from another building and the router DHCP was pointing to a local DNS server that no longer existed. So proxmox auto configured this from the router.

Thanks, this is helpful! Could you share some troubleshooting tips that you learned in tracking this down? I am having a similar issue and I don't even know what logs to check or where to look (though I have validated DNS as you advise above)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!