Onboard Intel Network

aytact

Dec 22, 2020
Hi,

Recently I bought a motherboard Gigabyte B560M D3H. It has Intel B560 Express Chipset and ethernet controller is denoted as Intel GbE LAN chip (1000 Mbit/100 Mbit). But there is not anything else.

When I execute below codes in proxmox, I can see that these are 8086:15fa

lspci -v | grep Ethernet
00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 15fa (rev 11)
lspci -vnnk -s 00:1f.6
00:1f.6 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:15fa] (rev 11)

The problem is ethernet controller is not working. Whatever I tried, I could not succeed. I installed latest version of ixgbe manually. But probably this is not suitable package. Still not working. What do I need to install?

Thank you so much

Try Kernel 5.11 https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/kernel-5-11.86225/

I have a Z590 MB and the NIC only started working with 5.11.
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z590 Gaming plus
CPU: intel i9 11900K
Memory: Gskill 32*2 3200mhz, XMP = on
HDD: 4* Seagate Ironwolf ST4000VN008 4 TB
m.2 SSD: Samsung 970 plus 1tb
GPU: Gigabyte 3070

I have done this but then i get alot of errors related to IRQ 16
And i also cannot run a Windows vm with gpu passthrough to it.

When i do try to the proxmox webinterface crashes. And the Local storage gets filled up.

I will test this further but i get all kinds of errors. Will update this when i know exactly what i'm getting.

Here i will describe the things i did to get to here:

1. Install proxmox on NVMe drive.
2. Change repository to non enterprise.
3. apt update
4. apt install pve-kernal-5.11
5. reboot
6. zpool import -f RaidDisk
7. restore a couple of backups only to the NVMe drive.

And even then i get the IRQ16 error
irq16.png

I'm now going to try the ISO (http://download.proxmox.com/temp/proxmox-ve-6.4-iso-with-5.11-kernel/)
Before hand deleted the ZFS pool which is made in 6.4 older kernal with: zpool destroy <poolname>
And delete the partitions with fdisk /dev/sda for all disks.

Steps i took to end up with the same problem again:
1. Install proxmox on NVMe drive.
2. Create ZFS pool now named HDDRaid which is raid 10.
3. Create Backup directory on /HDDRaid/Backup
3. Upload Backup files to HDDRaid/Backup through winSCP.
20210611_002627.jpg

Last edited:
For now even the Windows vm works so i'm just going to keep running it like this and see what happens.
Igc errors are related to the hardware i believe. We'll see.

The reason why my Local storage is filling up is because the computer is constantly outputting error logs.

Screenshot 2021-06-11 024922.png

Last edited:
To the OP, googling that vid/pid comes back to an intel i219-v nic. Maybe there's some bios settings related to the nic that could be tweaked?

So i did some further looking into my system and even on 5.11 kernal the network goes offline from time to time.
I named the IRQ 16 before and when i looked at my pci devices i could see the intel ethernet controller with the IRQ 16 next to it.

Attachments

• errorirq16.png
    errorirq16.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 3
My board also has an Intel® I219-V 1Gb Ethernet card and everything runs smooth since weeks with Kernel 5.11.

$ sudo lspci -v | grep Ethernet 00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 15fa (rev 11) $ sudo lspci -vnnk -s 00:1f.6 00:1f.6 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:15fa] (rev 11) Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8672] Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 141 Memory at a1600000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K] Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3 Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+ Kernel driver in use: e1000e Kernel modules: e1000e

I therefore somehow doubt that it's the 219 in general or proxmox.

Maybe there's a BIOS setting or the onboard NIC is faulty? (IRQ16 feels a bit like it could be BIOS config issue)

Have you tried with other distros / OS such as a Debian or Ubuntu live cd or Windows?
Do these work?

For all people that own Z590 please do note that you might have to change your GRUB cmd

If your linux is spamming your log files and filling your drive to the max. and see these error lines, see the picture The kernel option pci=nommconf disables Memory-Mapped PCI Configuration Space, which is available in Linux since kernel 2.6. Very roughly, all PCI devices have an area that describe this device (which you see with lspci -vv), and the originally method to access this area involves going through I/O ports, while PCIe allows this space to be mapped to memory for simpler access.
http://xillybus.com/tutorials/pci-express-tlp-pcie-primer-tutorial-guide-1

For those that get the BadTLP error

This was the fix for my log files getting filled.

#EDIT:
I found out this fix causes problems for running a gpu in a windows VM (Freezes)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!