OMV or Debian LXC - Which is best for installing Docker on Proxmox?

Porsmitj2

Apr 3, 2023
I am a proxmox beginner suffering from information overload.

I have read of 2 different ways of installing docker on proxmox:

1. Using omv-extras on openmediavault
2. Creating a Debian container and installing Docker on top of it.

I already have omv installed in a container, which I believe is based on Debian anyway, so are there are advantages of doing method 2 that I need to be aware of.

Of do both methods end up with a very similar setup.

All advice is appreciated.

Thank you

depends if u wanna go with the overhead of the omv environment. normally, u use a fresh install in a container.

You could install docker to a Debian LXC install (easy to do instructions here, it is literally a copy and paste of command into the terminal https://docs.docker.com/engine/install/debian/). I have had a lot of success that way. It may be easier for you if you do a full Ubuntu install (from ISO) and use Snap to install docker during my Ubuntu install. Alternatively I have had a lot of luck using the same instructions on a full Debian install from ISO. Ubuntu snap is probably the easiest. I am not sure I would bother with an OMV install just to run docker. I use OMV and like it a lot, but that's not a reason to use it, IMHO.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!