NVMEs get detected as SSD-drives - ceph crush rule problem

sigmarb

Nov 8, 2016
Hi,

we just put our first NVMEs in the existing proxmox 6 & ceph nodes. Unfortunately the NVMEs are detected as type SSD.
As we want to have a new pool with only the faster NVMEs, we can not distinguish the disks by type:
(ceph osd crush rule create-replicated ....)

What can we do?

thank you.

1602138246519.png

Hi,

IIRC, currently NVMEs are always shown as SSDs in the Disk panel, they are a more specific type of SSD so it's not directly wrong.

But, I recently thought myself that it would be nice to use different types for them, we may do this with a future update.

As we want to have a new pool with only the faster NVMEs, we can not distinguish the disks by type:
(ceph osd crush rule create-replicated ....)

Note that the Disk panels type detection is not the same as the Ceph one.
Just use the hint that NVMe disks have "nvme" in their device path when selecting them.

Hi,

i dont quite get it. You do not just "add" disks to a pool, you create a crush map rule by

ceph osd crush rule create-replicated replicated_rule_ssd default host ssd

So it only gets replicated to this type of device. I'm not aware of another way to -as you recommend - "Just use the hint that NVMe disks have "nvme" in their device path when selecting them.".

Can you please elaborate?

thank you.

So it only gets replicated to this type of device. I'm not aware of another way to -as you recommend - "Just use the hint that NVMe disks have "nvme" in their device path when selecting them.".
Thomas is talking about the GUI panel in your screenshot. That information is provided by proxmox. While Ceph might have its own classification of disks.

As you found out, in Ceph the device class can be set manually as well.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!