NTFS Shared Mount Permission issues for Docker in CT

batou069

May 27, 2022
Hi,

Not sure what logs or docs to add, please lmk what might help to better understand the issue.

I'm running an unprivileged Ubuntu 22.04 Container Template with docker & docker-compile, everything installed as per docker docs instructions.
I'm running the Arr suite (Radarr, Sonarr, Lidarr, Prowlarr, Readarr, Bazarr) + qbittorrent from one docker-compile yml file.
The container has folder from a 2nd HDD mounted to it . That drive is also a Directory/Storage in Proxmox Gui) where data was already in, NTFS partition.

The conf file has:
Bash:
mp0: /mnt/Files/data,mp=/mnt/data

so /mnt/Files is the HDD & Proxmox storage, /mnt/Files/data/ is the folder mounted to the container.

Volumes, Env & Folder structure are all set up to support hard linking & atomic moves.

In the container I created a new user PUID&PGID=1000, all docker containers have the same Timezone, I tried both where all containers are run by the same PUID&PGID and also with different PUIDs but a shared GUID. My user is in the sudoer file and I can run docker without sudo.

Everything works except for actually downloading a file, Qbittorrent errors & I bet that it's a Permission Issue.

What I tried:
The folders in the shared mount are owned by user:nobody & group:nogroup so I tried changing permissions there but nothing worked:

From Proxmox Shell
Bash:
addgroup --gid 1000 data

chgrp -R data /mnt/Files/data/

setfacl -Rm g:1000:rwx,d:g:1000:rwx /mnt/Files/data/

chmod -R 2775  /mnt/Files/data/
but the user & group dont change names.

I also tried moving the containers from the bridge network to a macvlan network as per this YT tutorial. I gave it an IP out of my Pihole DNS & DHCPs range but when I came to the point to do
Bash:
dhcpcd eth1
I got this error:

Code:
eth1: if_init: Read-only file system
eth1: interface not found or invalid

Not sure anymore what to do. Could it be the NTFS share? Would it be easier to dedicate a VM for running containers?
Anyone can share how he got this to work?

Thanks

HI,
two questions:
  • Can you create a file on the share you want to download to touch test_file?
  • What does your container config look like pct config <container id>?

HI,
two questions:
  • Can you create a file on the share you want to download to touch test_file?
  • What does your container config look like pct config <container id>?
I solved this issue by deactivating preallocate disc space in qBittorrent. Not sure why this was the case, but everything works now :)

thank you

Reactions: shrdlicka

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!