Notifying the sender of a message delivery failure

Apr 9, 2021
Hello,

I have some questions about notifying.

Is it possible for the sender of a message that has been marked as spam/virus etc. to receive a return message with information that the message from him did not reach my inbox?
If so, will this message contain information about the reason why this message did not reach the mailbox, and can I customize such a return message by adding information from myself, for example "the message did not reach the recipient for security reasons"?
Is it possible to set such a rule for a specific sender or domain?

Additional question:
A message that did not reach my inbox will be stored in the spam quarantine.
Is it possible that a message from a specific sender or domain that receives a non-delivery message to my inbox, as mentioned in the first question, will be automatically removed from quarantine?
I mean the scenario that a specific sender sends me an e-mail, for some reason this e-mail did not arrive, he then gets information that the message was not delivered and the e-mail disappears from the system and is not stored in quarantine.
Thank you in advance for your help

From my point of view, notify the sender for spam/virus is not the good approach. It may good for true user but for spammer/phishing it something like "Hey, I saw you. Change your email and try to phish us again" haha. j/k

Some messages are mislabeled as spam/virus. That's why I'm asking about the possibility of adding a specific address/domain to which an automatic reply will be sent if this message is marked as spam/virus etc.
But thanks for the answer :)

Well, it already does. :)

That's what "notify sender" does.
If the sending mailserver takes that responds and delivers to sending client. That's a different thing.

However, this is OUTbound. So create similar rule for inbound you should be set. (Or change this one, but wouldn't recommend)

1692901700721.png

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!