NOT install to SSD NVMe

drobicek

Apr 25, 2016
Hello,
I can not install Proxmox 4.1 ISO to Intel SSD 750 Series NVMe PCIe SSD / Solid State Drive 800 gigabytes, there is a solution?
Mainboard is supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN4F.
Thank you

Yes, the graphics menu loads the first drive /dev/nvme0n1 745GB, select the EXT4 filesystem and installation error - unable to get device for partition 1 on device /dev/nvme0n1. In text mode - proxinstall:2038 - dconf CRITICAL - read only file system, GPT data strukture destroyed,unable to get device for partition 1 on device /dev/nvme0n1......and more text.
thank you

You need to wait for the 4.2 install ISO (this is the first ISO with nvme support).

Installation 4.2 ISO is now so successful, but when you start from the SSD writing error: volume group PVE not found and unable to fing LVM volume pve / root and other error listings, the system will not boot.
please help
Jiri

Installation 4.2 ISO is now so successful, but when you start from the SSD writing error: volume group PVE not found and unable to fing LVM volume pve / root and other error listings, the system will not boot.
please help
Jiri

Did a quick test and I have the same result. Before 4.2 I got a installation error now the installation works fine and after te reboot I have the same problem.

Hi,

I’m trying to do a new install of Proxmox 4.2 on a NVME boot drive (Samsung 950 pro), I'm trying to install with a Raid0 ZFS filesystem.

It fails when creating the partition.
In the GUI a popup shows ‘unable to create zfs root pool’ and in the install log:
Code:
GPT data structures destroyed! You may now partition the disk using disk or other utilities.
Creating new GPT entries.
Setting name!
partNum is 1
REALLY setting name!
The operation has completed successfully.
cannot create ‘rpool’: no such pool or dataset
unable to create zfs root pool
umount: /rpool/ROOT/pve-1/var/lib/vz: mount point not found
umount: /rpool/ROOT/pve-1/tmp: mount point not found
umount: /rpool/ROOT/pve-1/proc: mount point not found
umount: /rpool/ROOT/pve-1/sys: mount point not found

Did someone manage to install Proxmox on a nvme drive and zfs ?

Add an delay to grub:
Code:
cat /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on rootdelay=5"

I tried adding "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on rootdelay=5"" to etc/default/grub but still no joy booting into proxmox from my Intel 750. Any other steps required?

For clarity - it boots from the 750 but fails to find the LVM volume pve/root

try a bigger rootdelay (like 10 or 20) - this worked for us

Do I try to add these lines before starting the installer in debug mode? That file does not exist at that time for me... Should I create it?

Do I try to add these lines before starting the installer in debug mode? That file does not exist at that time for me... Should I create it?

the rootdelay is for after installation, not for during the installation. please describe your problem and hardware.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!