Not able to remove cluster node

yousuf101

Jan 23, 2024
I deployed a third node and tried to add it to the cluster, but the process failed. When I run pvecm nodes, only the two existing nodes are shown; the new node does not appear. However, it is visible in the GUI interface.

How can I remove the dead server from the list if it's not showing in the shell command? Is there a way to remove the dead node from the list so I can add the new rebuilt node?

1716553347042.png

1716553409270.png

Have you tried rebooting the 2-node cluster?
You could also try:
Code:
systemctl restart pve-cluster
systemctl restart pvedaemon
systemctl restart pveproxy
systemctl restart pvestatd

... tried to add it to the cluster, but the process failed.
Do you remember what the error message was?

For the node showing up in the webUI, that probably means it now has an entry defined under /etc/pve/nodes/NODE_NAME.

Saying that as "a phantom node showing up in the webUI" also happens when you delete a node from an existing cluster.

It'll be gone from the cluster definition, but still show in the web interface until you manually nuke it's directory structure under /etc/pve/nodes/NODE_NAME.

To stop it from showing up, I'd first confirm if there is an entry for that phantom node in the above directory, and if so then nuke it (rm -rf style).

With that gone, you should be able to reload your browser tab (Control-F5 on Firefox, not sure about Chrome) and the entry should be gone from the webUI.

The question after that one is "how to get the cluster join operation to work", which the error message would be helpful for. :)

Interesting. That sounds like a (name) resolver problem of some sort. Unfortunately my skills aren't strong in that area. :(

For the basic bits though, if you try pinging that name (ie "ping IEDUBPVE103") from both of the other hosts, does it work?

Hmmm, doing a search here on the Proxmox forums for that error message "no address associated with hostname" does show some potentially useful threads.

I'd probably look into those first (after fixing the phantom entry in the web interface), as my skills with fixing name resolution problems are likely not as good as some of the other people in those threads. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!