[SOLVED] Node reboot on update

ctech

Apr 20, 2021
Hi.

I have a cluster of ~10 Proxmox nodes running version 6.3-6.
Yesterday I decided to deploy the latest updates (pve-no-subscription) on all nodes and ran "apt full-upgrade" via an Ansible play.
In the result, most of my nodes have rebooted! Only two of them did not. I have looked through the log files but wasn't able to find anything suspicious.
Could anyone please help me to find out what's happened?

Here's the list of the packages I updated:

Commandline: /usr/bin/apt-get -y -o Dpkg::Options::=--force-confdef -o Dpkg::Options::=--force-confo ld dist-upgrade Upgrade: proxmox-widget-toolkit:amd64 (2.4-9, 2.5-1), corosync:amd64 (3.1.0-pve1, 3.1.2-pve1), libcm ap4:amd64 (3.1.0-pve1, 3.1.2-pve1), libpve-storage-perl:amd64 (6.3-8, 6.3-9), libquorum5:amd64 (3.1. 0-pve1, 3.1.2-pve1), proxmox-backup-client:amd64 (1.0.13-1, 1.1.1-1), libvotequorum8:amd64 (3.1.0-pv e1, 3.1.2-pve1), libcfg7:amd64 (3.1.0-pve1, 3.1.2-pve1), libcpg4:amd64 (3.1.0-pve1, 3.1.2-pve1), lib corosync-common4:amd64 (3.1.0-pve1, 3.1.2-pve1)

Syslog excerp in the attachment.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    30 KB · Views: 8
Hi,

Are you using HA on the cluster? And did you run the updates simultaneously or one after the other? The "Package Updates" section [1] in the High Availability section of the docs has some notes on why this could cause issues. In addition, due to fencing [2], when individual nodes lose quorom, they can be forced to shut down, in order to protect the rest of the cluster from damage.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-ha-manager.html#ha_manager_package_updates
[2] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-ha-manager.html#ha_manager_fencing

Yes I'm using HA, and yes, I did it simultaneously. Now I see why it wasn't the best idea. Didn't read the manual, classic! Thank you for the explanation.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!