[SOLVED] Node crashes and resets without log entry + RRD update error

def1ant

Apr 26, 2020
Hey there,

im not sure if the two issues are related - if not, i will change the thread title accordingly!

So my little proxmox homeserver keeps crashing after a migration to a different motherboard without leaving any traces in the syslog why.
It only happens if you start a larger file transfer, otherwise the node will run stable 24/7.

I'm running Virtual Environment 6.1-8 on a AMD e-350 based embedded board. This installation of proxmox was originally installed on an intel server board, wich was replaced due to high power consumption.
I was pleasently surprised that everything (except the network card, wich was to be expected) worked fine one the new board, including my 5 hard disk ZFS array.
So i just plugged the system ssd and my 5 hard disks to the new board and started it.
This may very well be the reason for my problems, and the safest way would be a fresh install of proxmox. But if possible, i'd like to avoid that. :)

So the only thing the syslog is offering is:

Code:
Apr 26 13:12:09 pve pmxcfs[863]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-node/pve: mmaping file '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-node/pve': Invalid argument
Apr 26 13:12:09 pve pmxcfs[863]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local: mmaping file '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local': Invalid argument
Apr 26 13:12:09 pve pmxcfs[863]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local-lvm: mmaping file '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local-lvm': Invalid argument
Apr 26 13:12:19 pve pmxcfs[863]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-node/pve: mmaping file '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-node/pve': Invalid argument
Apr 26 13:12:19 pve pmxcfs[863]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local-lvm: mmaping file '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local-lvm': Invalid argument
Apr 26 13:12:19 pve pmxcfs[863]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local: mmaping file '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local': Invalid argument
Apr 26 13:12:30 pve pmxcfs[863]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-node/pve: mmaping file '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-node/pve': Invalid argument
Apr 26 13:12:30 pve pmxcfs[863]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local: mmaping file '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local': Invalid argument
Apr 26 13:12:30 pve pmxcfs[863]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local-lvm: mmaping file '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local-lvm': Invalid argument
Apr 26 13:12:39 pve pmxcfs[863]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-node/pve: mmaping file '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-node/pve': Invalid argument
Apr 26 13:12:39 pve pmxcfs[863]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local-lvm: mmaping file '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local-lvm': Invalid argument
Apr 26 13:12:39 pve pmxcfs[863]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local: mmaping file '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local': Invalid argument
Apr 26 13:12:49 pve pmxcfs[863]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-node/pve: mmaping file '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-node/pve': Invalid argument
Apr 26 13:12:50 pve pmxcfs[863]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local-lvm: mmaping file '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local-lvm': Invalid argument
Apr 26 13:12:50 pve pmxcfs[863]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local: mmaping file '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local': Invalid argument
Apr 26 13:12:59 pve pmxcfs[863]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-node/pve: mmaping file '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-node/pve': Invalid argument
Apr 26 13:12:59 pve pmxcfs[863]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local: mmaping file '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local': Invalid argument
Apr 26 13:12:59 pve pmxcfs[863]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local-lvm: mmaping file '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-storage/pve/local-lvm': Invalid argument

This is spammed constantly. The graphs on the summary page appear to be working though.
I've tried restarting rddcached and flushed using "rddcached -P FLUSH", no change.

The files its looking for seem to exist, but are empty...?

On proxmox i am running a couple of vms. The only one constantly active is openmediavault.

The system runs stable, until you start a larger file transfer to the storage ZFS.
Then the whole node hardresets after two minutes of transfer or so, without any log entries.

Currently the node has 4gb of ram, 3 of wich are allocated to the omv vm. As it looked like the system would crash as soon as the ram fully fills up i ran a memorytest86 over night - no errors detected.

Any help would be greatly apreciated!
Nice sunday to everyone.

Cheers
Eric

hi,

The system runs stable, until you start a larger file transfer to the storage ZFS.
i'd guess you're running out of memory. zfs uses a lot of memory alone, your system has 4G and 3 is allocated to VM. PVE also needs some amount of ram to function.

your choices are basically upgrading your ram or using a different storage instead of zfs.

Thanks for your reply!
That was also my working theory atm - more ram is currently on the way. :)
I will update if the additional ram helped.

Cheers

Reactions: oguz
you're welcome, you can mark the thread solved so others can know what to expect!

Reactions: def1ant

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!