bl0ckhaus

Jan 31, 2023
Good afternoon,

I am having issues while trying to configure a cluster. I can access all machines with Proxmox installed, via browser, but the machines can´t communicate with each other. I can't even ping from one machine to another, but all configs are all right.

When I try to join a cluster or add a backup server, I receive an error message saying that there is no route to host.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

Hello,

well then there seems to be something misconfigured in your network, but we need more information from you. You should post the contents of your /etc/network/interfaces file and maybe the configuration of one of your VMs from the file /etc/pve/local/qemu-server/100.conf (with 100 replaced by the number of your VM). Do post them in [CODE]-tags for better readability.

Kind regards,
Benedikt

Hello,

Here they are:

root@cyberlab3:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces # network interface settings; autogenerated # Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what # you're doing. # # If you want to manage parts of the network configuration manually, # please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do # so. # PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT read its network # configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of # the PVE managed interfaces into external files! auto lo iface lo inet loopback iface eno1 inet manual auto vmbr0 iface vmbr0 inet static address 192.168.0.103/24 gateway 192.168.0.1 bridge-ports eno1 bridge-stp off bridge-fd 0 iface wlp2s0 inet manual

Well that interfaces-file is simple enough. Lets see..

I can access all machines with Proxmox installed, via browser, but the machines can´t communicate with each other. I can't even ping from one machine to another, but all configs are all right.
So your VMs are connected to the Bridge vmbr0 and have an IP address in the subnet 192.168.0.0/24 ? That should be all you need so that your machines can communicate with eachother. What are the network configs of your VMs and your ping command?

Do note that Proxmox does not give you 'Router-features' like a DHCP or DNS server.

When I try to join a cluster or add a backup server, I receive an error message saying that there is no route to host.
Cluster creation has some additional requirements, but over anything your Proxmox host (here with 192.168.0.103) needs to be able to have a route to the second Proxmox host. So the second Proxmox Host either needs to be in the subnet 192.168.0.0/24 or reachable via your Gateway 192.168.0.1 - and in the latter case you have to be sure that there is also a route from Host2 back to Host1.

Good Morning,

So your VMs are connected to the Bridge vmbr0 and have an IP address in the subnet 192.168.0.0/24 ? That should be all you need so that your machines can communicate with eachother. What are the network configs of your VMs and your ping command?
I haven't configured any VM in any server. I'm trying to cluster them first and be sure all are well configured.

The servers are all in the same network, there are 5 of them, being 4 VE and 1 backup server. They are all connected to a switch.

What I can't understand is why I can connect to all servers through the browser using a wired connection, so all servers communicate with my PC, but not with each other.

I see, with 'machines' you mean the Proxmox Hosts, not the virtual machines running on the hosts.

I think you need to provide more information about your environment then. What are the IP-Adresses of all the nodes? Can the hosts ping eachother? Can you SSH into the other nodes? Did you change the hostnames of the hosts after installation?

Your machines only seem to have one network interface. Do note thatthis is not ideal for creating a cluster and might cause issues later on.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!