[SOLVED] No networking on VM in same PVE management VLAN

Jeebas

Mar 3, 2021
Hi, as the title says i'm having a problem on VMs and containers that share the host pve VLAN.

If the VM goes on a different VLAN, no problem. My intention is to have a bond between eno1 and eno2 with lacp layer 2 and have one bridge so every VM goes through that bridge with the specific VLAN tag. I tried creating a VLAN10 specific for management, but even though i can access the WebGUI, the problem persists. Searched everywhere and nothing I try works.

Configuration as follows:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eno1
iface eno1 inet manual

auto eno2
iface eno2 inet manual

iface eno3 inet manual

iface eno4 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
bond-slaves eno1 eno2
bond-miimon 100
bond-mode 802.3ad
bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
bridge-ports bond0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

auto vlan10
iface vlan10 inet static
address 192.168.10.20/24
gateway 192.168.10.1
vlan-raw-device bond0

Hi, as the title says i'm having a problem on VMs and containers that share the host pve VLAN.

If the VM goes on a different VLAN, no problem. My intention is to have a bond between eno1 and eno2 with lacp layer 2 and have one bridge so every VM goes through that bridge with the specific VLAN tag. I tried creating a VLAN10 specific for management, but even though i can access the WebGUI, the problem persists. Searched everywhere and nothing I try works.

Configuration as follows:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eno1
iface eno1 inet manual

auto eno2
iface eno2 inet manual

iface eno3 inet manual

iface eno4 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
bond-slaves eno1 eno2
bond-miimon 100
bond-mode 802.3ad

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
bridge-ports bond0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

auto vlan10
iface vlan10 inet static
address 192.168.10.20/24
gateway 192.168.10.1
vlan-raw-device bond0
To clarify. You wish to have bridge interface for host ip and to can connect VM's to that bridge intsrface.
All this traffic must be in vlan_id 10?

To clarify, i want pve webgui on vlan 10 and a bridge that can be used by all VMs including vlan 10.

I created the vlan10 interface to try and separate the webgui from the bridge to see if VMs needing vlan 10 would have network, but no luck.

To clarify, i want pve webgui on vlan 10 and a bridge that can be used by all VMs including vlan 10.

I created the vlan10 interface to try and separate the webgui from the bridge to see if VMs needing vlan 10 would have network, but no luck.

OK,

Try this

Code:
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
       bond-slaves eno1 eno2
       bond-miimon 100
       bond-mode 802.3ad

auto bond0.10
iface bond0.10 inet manual

auto vmbr10
iface vmbr10 inet manual
       address 192.168.10.20/24
       gateway 192.168.10.1
       bridge-ports bond0.10
       bridge-stp off
       bridge-fd 0

This will give to you host on ip: 192.168.10.20 and vmbr10 interface for VM in VLAN 10
You must create on you L3 device [router/switch] vlan interface vlan10 with ip: 192.168.10.1.
This interface on L3 device will be gateway for this network aka pve host and VM in this vlan.

Last edited:
Thank you for replying and helping out.

So, neither solution worked for me. As soon as i put the configuration, i can access the webgui but all the VMs on vlan10 stop having network, they get IPs but no internet connection. All VMs on vlan30 work well.
I saw some posts about this but with no solution. I'm getting a bit frustrated as usually i can get things to work, but this one is a bit confusing.

Thank you for replying and helping out.

So, neither solution worked for me. As soon as i put the configuration, i can access the webgui but all the VMs on vlan10 stop having network, they get IPs but no internet connection
can you ping your hypervisor ip from the vms on the same vlan10 ? if yes, the network configuration is ok.

can you ping your hypervisor ip from the vms on the same vlan10 ? if yes, the network configuration is ok.
Hi. Thanks for the tip. After i tried that with success i went on and found unbound had stopped on pfsense. Started and everything connected.

Let me guess, did you update to 2.5.0? My dns resolver also stops working every two days or so. Wonder what they did there to break this ...

I did. Then the errors were so many I did a fresh install, but still some persist.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!