No Network Interfaces Found - Qlogic 4xxxx

Nick Lawrence

Apr 12, 2018
Hi all, first time poster here - I have an issue that im trying to work out.
Im installing proxmox on a new dell R640 - decent specs, with no copper ethernet network card. Its got 2 x 10Gbps dual port cards from Qlogic that we will be using for network and ceph.

The installer for proxmox 5.1 has the qed and qede drivers for these cards at version 8.10 from december and they seem to load when the installer starts. But the error for no network cards persists.

Im assuming that upgrading the qlogic driver could be the answer, but trying to open the iso, then open the pve-installer.squashfs to copy the newly compiled driver ends up with boot errors when trying to use them.
Im assuming im not using mksquashfs or mkisofs properly.

The network cards in question are : QLogic 2x25GE QL41262HMCU CNA
and QLogic 25GE 2P QL41262HxCU-DE

any help would be appreciated.

could you boot into the debug mode and collect the /tmp/install.log file and output of "ip l" and "lspci" ?

could you boot into the debug mode and collect the /tmp/install.log file and output of "ip l" and "lspci" ?

Hi there, booted from dvd and selected boot mode debug.

ip l gives me :

1: lo: <LOOPBACK> mtr 655536 qdisc noop qlen 1000

just the loopback address. no cards

The /tmp/install.log just says
ignoring detected country '', invalid or unknown.

The main interface says no network card.

lspci has the cards :

19:00.0 Ethernet controller: QLogic Corp. Device 8070 (rev 02)
19:00.1 Ethernet controller: QLogic Corp. Device 8070 (rev 02)

To add to this :

lspci -nnk

19:00.0 Ethernet controller: QLogic Corp. Device 8070 (rev 02)
Subsystem: Qlogic Corp. Device [1077:000c]
Kernel Modules : qede
19:00.1 Ethernet controller: QLogic Corp. Device 8070 (rev 02)
Subsystem: Qlogic Corp. Device [1077:000c]
Kernel Modules : qede

modinfo qede

filename: /lib/modules/4.13.13-2-pve/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/qlogic/qede/qede.ko
version: 8.10.10.21
license: GPL
description : QLogic FastLinQ 4xxxx Ethernet Driver

Strange how the module seems loaded but doesnt work on the cards?

Not very helpful I will admit. Anyway - Can I force the install to ignore the network card and just carry on? I can fix /etc/network/interfaces later?

Thank you, appreciate it

Last edited:
no, at the moment the only way is to install on top of Debian Stretch (which currently has a small hickup and requires a manual run of "pvecm updatecerts" after installing PVE packages - that should be fixed next week).

Hmm seems that debian stretch has the same problem. Funny thing is that the network cards work perfectly fine once the iso is able to install and ive rebooted into proxmox -

Ive tried everything to get the drivers to load but to no avail.
I will put it down to land sharks for now.

I have found a janky work around - for those of you who have this issue and want to just install without a network card and fix the interface file afterwards.

Disclaimer - If you dont know how to fix your network after the install. Then dont do this.

Load the iso normally. When the screen says it cant find the network interface - click abort.
then run :

modprobe dummy

this creates a dummy interface, and then run :

ip a

this checks that the dummy exists with the loopback device.
then :

xinit

this will start kick off the chroot installer again.

- not the best advice in the world, but if i knew this - i wouldnt have faffed for days

Cheers

Hello,

I got the same issue with network card and Dell R640.

The workaround for now is still to first install debian 9 and after proxmox on top ?

no, at the moment the only way is to install on top of Debian Stretch (which currently has a small hickup and requires a manual run of "pvecm updatecerts" after installing PVE packages - that should be fixed next week).

I have the same situation with my Dell R640 and QLogic FastLinQ 41164 four Ports 10GBASE-T PCIe Adapter. Is there now a possibility to activate the network card during the installation? Does it possible to load additional drivers during installation?

Last edited:
I have the same situation with my Dell R640 and QLogic FastLinQ 41164 four Ports 10GBASE-T PCIe Adapter. Is there now a possibility to activate the network card during the installation? Does it possible to load additional drivers during installation?

nothing changed on that front, but the workaround posted a little bit above your post should still work..

nothing changed on that front, but the workaround posted a little bit above your post should still work..

Thank you for your answering Fabian. I used workaround with "dummy interface" and it works for me.

UPD:

with installation of Proxmox 6.1 I had the same problems again. Workaround with "dummy interface" still working, but after "modprobe dummy " you need to create interface with "ip link add dummy0 type dummy".

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!