No longer able to view network interfaces - can't create bridge

TinyTower

Mar 31, 2023
When trying to create a Linux Bridge I noticed that I am no longer able to view the interface names for my quad NIC. They used to be labeled enp4s0f0, enp4s0f1, enp5s0f0, and enp5s0f1 but no longer show up with ip a, ip link show, etc. I also receive an error stating that the bridge port does not exist when using one of the above interface names. I'm not sure why this is the case.

Below are outputs of the commands I have tried:

ip link show
ip_link_show.png

dmesg | grep -i eth
dmesg_grep_eth.png

lspci
lspci.png

/etc/network/interfaces
network_interfaces_config.png

As you can see, the previous names of the interfaces are no longer displayed as active. The numerical list for ip link show is also skipping some numbers. I've been trying to figure this out all morning and hope someone has a solution. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
what changed to your system? Obviously, you have a naming problem.
Try to use eth0-4 in the interfaces file!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!