No data after passing SSD through VM on another Proxmox instance

MPJM

May 10, 2024
Hello everyone,
I am struggling with some two-disks configuration for VM using Proxmox.
I have a nettop PC that has two disks slots, in each the nvme SSD is connected. Proxmox is running on that nettop, installed on first drive.
I have one VM on which Ubuntu is running an application. The first disk is also used for that, so at start the second disk was unused.
My plan was to:
1. Passthough the second drive to my Ubuntu VM (which I have successfully achived following proxmox wiki: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Passthrough_Physical_Disk_to_Virtual_Machine_(VM) )
2. Then, from Ubuntu console, using fdisk, I have created on that second drive a GPT partition table, a new partition and a ext4 filesystem.
3. I mounted that partition and copied some data (my application backup data) from the first drive (application drive) to second drive (backup drive).
4. Then I took off the second drive physically from the PC and I reinstalled fresh Proxmox (from bootable pendrive) on that first drive
5. After installation I have restored my Ubuntu VM from dump that I had.
6. Now the key moment. I reconnected the second disk to PC, so it was detected and visible in Proxmox. I passed it through again to VM, mounted it and... I can't see any files on that drive... I don't know why

The reason I am doing this is to test out some backup functionality I want to implement for my application running on Ubuntu.
I did some more tests, I took a pendrive with some files which were copied on it using some other Windows PC. I connected it to nettop PC, passed it through my VM, mounted and I can see the files. With this pendrive it works.

Here are screenshot that I thought might be helpful:
1. Proxmox disks and VM hardware configuration
1715339333160.png
1715339498147.png
2. Ubuntu lsblk and df:
sdb is the second disk, the one on which are my missing files
1715339398133.png
1715339457944.png

Any help will be appreciated

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!