[SOLVED] No console output after "initialising ramdisk" after upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1

marcosscriven

Mar 6, 2021
After upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1, I only got a couple of log lines in the console after rebooting. It stops at the message about initialising ramdisk.

I therefore assumed it had hung, rebooted fine in a 6.2 kernel, and checked previous boot logs, only to find no errors.

I then rebooted with the default 6.5 kernel, and could see that actually I could log in fine via the webUI.

I therefore compared log messages between the two boots, and found no differences in errors or warns.

What I did find in the 6.5 boot logs was the "fbcon: Deferring console take-over" and "switching to colour frame buffer" messages were missing.

Code:
// Previous boot on 6.2 kernel that showed console
journalctl -b -1 | grep -i consol
Nov 27 18:44:48 pve-pc kernel: Console: colour dummy device 80x25
Nov 27 18:44:48 pve-pc kernel: printk: console [tty0] enabled
Nov 27 18:44:48 pve-pc kernel: fbcon: Deferring console take-over
Nov 27 18:44:48 pve-pc kernel: fbcon: Taking over console
Nov 27 18:44:48 pve-pc kernel: Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48

// Boot with default 6.5 kernel that only shows console for a couple of lines and then stops
journalctl -b | grep -i consol
Nov 27 18:49:50 pve-pc kernel: Console: colour dummy device 80x25
Nov 27 18:49:50 pve-pc kernel: printk: console [tty0] enabled
Nov 27 18:49:50 pve-pc kernel: fbcon: Taking over console

Last edited:
did you regenerate your initramfs with simplefb included?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!