No available interfaces for cluster creation

ltcptgeneral

Jun 21, 2022
From the documentation, it seems to suggest that using a separate network interface for the cluster is optional, but when I try to create a cluster, there are no available interfaces to use. The current deployment only has one interface which is slaved by the linux bridge. I can add another NIC in the future, but I would prefer to test the feature without having to add a bunch of NICs to each node. Is there anyway to use the existing interface to test this feature?

What I am expecting (from the docs):
1655789692999.png

What I am getting:
1655789750507.png

Hi,
what is the output of pvesh get nodes/localhost/network --output-format json-pretty and cat /etc/network/interfaces? Feel free to censor any public IPs, but in such a way that it's still possible to tell if two are the same.

Hi,
what is the output of pvesh get nodes/localhost/network --output-format json-pretty and cat /etc/network/interfaces? Feel free to censor any public IPs, but in such a way that it's still possible to tell if two are the same.
JSON:
[
   {
      "active" : 1,
      "autostart" : 1,
      "bridge_fd" : "0",
      "bridge_ports" : "eno1",
      "bridge_stp" : "off",
      "bridge_vids" : "2-4094",
      "bridge_vlan_aware" : 1,
      "families" : [
         "inet"
      ],
      "iface" : "vmbr0",
      "method" : "manual",
      "method6" : "manual",
      "priority" : 4,
      "type" : "bridge"
   },
   {
      "active" : 1,
      "exists" : 1,
      "families" : [
         "inet"
      ],
      "iface" : "eno1",
      "method" : "manual",
      "method6" : "manual",
      "priority" : 3,
      "type" : "eth"
   }
]

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094

Well, there's no IP address assigned to the bridge. It should match the one configured in /etc/hosts.

Last edited:
That seems to have solved the issue. However, I prefer that nodes use dhcp without static mapping. I have a dns server which can resolve local lookups. Would it be possible to continue using dhcp for nodes when the cluster seems to expect static mappings?

Proxmox VE nodes are expected to be configured with a static IP AFAIK.

Reactions: ltcptgeneral

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!