NFS Storage Issues when on separate VLAN

linuxldy

Aug 12, 2021
Hi there --

New to Proxmox and building out the 1st node in a cluster for my homelab and I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.
I have a single network interface on my server but multiple VLANs configured on my Unifi switch (trunk port) . I have a single Linux bridge configured (default) and I created 2 VLANs, one for VMs and another for storage. Each VLAN has an IP it's listening on configured in the settings and that is all working as expected.

The issue I am having is when it comes to the NFS storage (Synology) which has 2 network interfaces....one interface is on the same network my Proxmox server is on and the other interface is on a separate network (defined as one of the VLANs above). The only way I can get the NFS storage to work consistently is to use the network address that is on the same network as the Proxmox server. However, I don't want to do this as the other network is configured with a bond. If I try to use the preferred (VLAN) network, it will mount but then within a few minutes I am getting a 500 error and it's no longer useable. This doesn't happen if I use the same network the Proxmox server is on.

What am I doing wrong? I doubt it's possible for me to add another NIC so I'm hoping to achieve this purely with VLAN configuration.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 10.28.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 10.28.18 AM.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 29
So the network that proxmox is on (vlan 50) is untagged and is just for management. VLAN20 which is tagged on the trunk is for the VMs and I am using the tag in the VM setting itself to ensure that it gets on the right network. The NFS server is on VLAN 40 also tagged on the trunk. For whatever reason, the only way I am consistently able to get NFS to connect and stay connected is if I connect to it on it's VLAN 50 IP address. The VLAN 40 address will connect and I can mount it via the CLI, ping it, etc. etc. but it ends up disconnecting after a few minutes with connection timeout errors.

Check your vlan40 config on all devices, check that network works, check that synology nfs server works...zero info what you did and checked.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!