Newbie Install Proxmox RAID-Z1 on different Sized Disks

PitRejection2359

Nov 2, 2020
UK
Hi,

I'm new to Proxmox, ZFS, and Linux so I'm setting up a test rig to play around a bit and see if I like it. I've got 3 different sized spare disks: 320 GB x 2 (different manufacturers) and 500GB that I'd like to use just to play with, ideally in RAID-Z1. I'm happy that I'd only get the equivalent of 3 x 320GB disks space to use in Z1 - this is just for test / play.

However, when installing Proxmox and selecting Z1 with the 3 disks, it won't install as it says all 3 disks need to be the same size. Is there any way to install in Z1 onto the 3 disks from the start? Or if not, is there a way to install on one then "upgrade" to Z1 later (I'm guessing not, seeing as I understand it needs to be set during creation, but worth asking).

Cheers.

I am not sure if it's possible to do what you want with using raw disks without any partitions. If you create a partition with the same size for ZFS on each disk beforehand, maybe it will work?

Eoin

I am not sure if it's possible to do what you want with using raw disks without any partitions. If you create a partition with the same size for ZFS on each disk beforehand, maybe it will work?

Eoin
Thanks Eoin - how do I go about creating those partitions? Do I need to do it in another OS, such as Windows, then re-try the install, or do I need to do it in the Proxmox install boot environment (and if so, how do i do that)?

I believe the installer might have shell or maybe you can use another Linux box to create partition. To create a partition on a disk, you need to know how to use fdisk utility.

Eoin

I believe the installer might have shell or maybe you can use another Linux box to create partition. To create a partition on a disk, you need to know how to use fdisk utility.

Eoin
OK, thanks - I'll see if there are some instructions on how to do this somewhere....!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!