New vm can't configure package manager

djaks

Renowned Member
Feb 7, 2016
Hello everyone,
i'm facing an installation issue. I'm running proxmox and trying to run a small homelab, I managed to install a pfsense on my host with wan/lan interfaces on vmbr1 and 2 (I kept vmbr0 as proxmox wan interface) and it has full access to internet. I set up a few iptables rules for traffic forwarding and basics firewall rules (any:any) on wan/lan pfsense interfaces.
But, when I tried to create a new vm (openmedia vault here), it failed at package manager configuratio. I tried other mirrors, I tried to create a dedicated interface (vmbr3 but i found it weird because what would be the point of using a centralized lan interface ... ). I'm a bit confused on how to connect omv to internet for installation.
I might miss configuration step or maybe I misunderstood how proxmox should be configured behind firewall.
If you need specific details or anything i'd be glad to give them to you.

Thanks in advance for your help or enlightenment.

Hello again, correct if i'm wrong but, is there any possibilities that i need nat rules in order to enable vms to comunicate with internet through pfsense ?

At least to me, your setup is not really clear. Maybe it is helpful (for others), if you would explain it in a more structured manner. For example:
  • Provide the full output in code-tags of: cat /etc/network/interfaces from the PVE-host.
  • What physical ports are physically connected to what (e.g.: WAN, LAN) and to which vmbr are they associated each?
  • What vmbr is connected to which VM and what job (e.g.: WAN, LAN) do they have inside the VM each?
  • Which subnets are associated to all of those ports, vmbrs and interfaces each?

Hey @Neobin n and thank for the reply (but sorry for the delay ^^' ).

Output of /etc/network/interfaces:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp3s0
iface enp3s0 inet manual
        up route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.1.254 dev enp3s0

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.117/24
        gateway 192.168.1.254
        bridge-ports enp3s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#pub

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
        address 192.168.1.116/24
        bridge-ports none
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#wan

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet static
        address 10.10.10.1/24
        bridge-ports none
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        post-up /root/pfsense-route.sh
#lan

Content of pfsense-route.sh:
Code:
ip route change 10.10.10.0/24 via 192.168.1.118 dev vmbr1
'
  • What vmbr is connected to which VM and what job (e.g.: WAN, LAN) do they have inside the VM each?':
For now, there is only a pfsense vm connected to wan and lan, which wan/lan interfaces are the same as above

I think all other questions are answered in with the output of /etc/network/interface.
With these configurations, the problem happens when I tried to create new vm behind pfsense, when comes network setup during os installation (e.g debian) the vm doesn't seems to get access to internet even if it's connected to new network interface (vmbr3 bind with lan interface as gw).
Don't hesitate if you need more information.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!