New version breaks old?

grin

Renowned Member
Dec 8, 2008
Hungary
grin.hu
Is it possible that 2.3.x server breaks 2.0.x client?

The best indicator is that `proxmox-backup-client list` (2.0.14) waits forever then timeouts trying to reach 2.3.3 server, while a 2.3.1 client works well.

No, it is not a question whether it would be optimal if everything would be up to date, I it is not always that simple due to various dependencies, or the server isn't under my purview; the problem is that new server shall not break the old client.

Hi,

I just tried reproducing this using exact the versions you specified (2.3.3 server, 2.0.14 client), but could not. Everything just works fine.

The best indicator is that `proxmox-backup-client list` (2.0.14) waits forever then timeouts trying to reach 2.3.3 server, while a 2.3.1 client works well.
Did you run the 2.0.14 and 2.3.1 client on the same machine? If not, do these have the exact same network setup? Maybe there is some firewall or proxy before the machine with the 2.0.14 client?
A timeout looks more like a network issue.

What version of PBS is running on the server (Administration -> Server Status -> Package versions (button on top))?

An strace proxmox-backup-client list failing machine might be interesting, to see where it fails exactly (you might need to censor some information from that output).

Reactions: fiona

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!