New to servers and can't connect to internet

docerpepper

Feb 29, 2020
Hello, I have been trying to teach myself how to use servers and look forward to using my Dell R630 to handle a few future projects. Though I have successfully installed Proxmox and I can IDRAC into my server locally I can't seem to ping anything or update anything. I've checked the health of my NIC and it seems to be functioning though it's not "talking" to the internet which I would assume is a driver issue. I've tried to use some commands in forums to download the drivers off a USB but when I tried them I would get "command unknown." I'll try to include as much related info as I can, any help will be appreciated considering I've been stuck for a week now.

I have two ethernet cables running from my router to my server, one is to my IDRAC and the other is to the NIC. I've tried all the ports and set up ipv4 in accordance to Dells main page how to set up the Lifecycle controller. My NIC is a "Broadcom Limited NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe."

1583014523719.png

I've been in and out of this file, and tried to after every change to revert it, It should be the same as when I first installed PxMx but if it's a litle off it's because of me.
1583014562700.png

1583014838774.png

Please let me know if I need to go to a diffrent forum or I need to provide more info.

Hi Doc, some questions about your configuration and network:

Did you create the bridge from the shell?
Are there vlans in the network?

Hello, I have been trying to teach myself how to use servers and look forward to using my Dell R630 to handle a few future projects. Though I have successfully installed Proxmox and I can IDRAC into my server locally I can't seem to ping anything or update anything. I've checked the health of my NIC and it seems to be functioning though it's not "talking" to the internet which I would assume is a driver issue. I've tried to use some commands in forums to download the drivers off a USB but when I tried them I would get "command unknown." I'll try to include as much related info as I can, any help will be appreciated considering I've been stuck for a week now.

I have two ethernet cables running from my router to my server, one is to my IDRAC and the other is to the NIC. I've tried all the ports and set up ipv4 in accordance to Dells main page how to set up the Lifecycle controller. My NIC is a "Broadcom Limited NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe."

View attachment 15295

I've been in and out of this file, and tried to after every change to revert it, It should be the same as when I first installed PxMx but if it's a litle off it's because of me.
View attachment 15296

View attachment 15297

Please let me know if I need to go to a diffrent forum or I need to provide more info.

Hi Doc, some questions about your configuration and network:

Did you create the bridge from the shell?
Are there VLANs in the network?

I did not create the shell it came with the server as a Java download which is why I had snips instead of copy-pasting the terminal.

I'm not entirely familiar with what a VLAN is but after a google search I didn't set one up or anything. The only thing that I did set up is some port forwarding when I was trying to SSH into an Ubuntu server I had on another device. Would that do anything?

Thanks for your time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!