New to Proxmox VE-- Seeking a path to learn

arealfunghi

Jan 3, 2023
Hello Proxmox community!

I recently found my way to using Proxmox via upgrade of my hardware for Home Assistant (originally on RPi3b+) and I was drawn to Proxmox because of the option to isolate HA and run other applications as LXC though I'm very new to home servers and networking. I have a long list of things I'd like to try and eventually run on Proxmox, but I'm having trouble navigating where to start. Migrating & restoring Home Assistant was a piece of cake but learning new services I'm not migrating has me worried I'll screw things up with respect to shared storage or network security.

Below are a few areas I'm interested in exploring and would love any feedback on order of operations or whether to avoid/skip anything.

Home network tools & admin: 1/VPN for remote access of Proxmox or other tools running within it. 2/Network firewall or adblocker solution i.e. pfSense, PiHole or similar

Home media streaming & management: 1/Plex Media Server to run in LXC, 2/MakeMKV & Handbrake for ripping & conversion of old DVDs, 3/Transmission LXC for torrent client, 4/Radarr, Sonarr, or similar library tools

Smart home add-ons: 1/Blue Iris or similar IP cameras integration into Home Assistant

Disclaimer: this is a new hobby, so I'm not seeking to spend much more money, i.e. to stand up a TrueNas instance with high-performance drives; I only have 2 drives on top of the 512gb SSD in the HP Elitebook machine: 1TB external SSD, 320GB HDD, plus some old 2.5" HDDs I could possibly repurpose for the right application. I realize I might be overlooking the core features of Proxmox for VM snapshots & backups, but I'd hope to learn this along the way, rather than sink into that before getting practical use from the services listed above.

For all of you who were in similar shoes years ago, please offer your recommendations.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!