New Proxmox VE kernel 2.6.32 and 2.6.35 released to stable

martin

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 28, 2005
We just moved our latest 2.6.32 and 2.6.35 Kernel from pvetest to the stable repository. A big thanks to all beta testers!

NOTE: qemu-server has slightly changed network device naming. If you use a software firewall and use network device names, you may need to adopt your firewall rules.

Release notes:

- pve-firmware (1.0-10)
  • updated for new QLogic phanfw.bin
- pve-kernel-2.6.32 (2.6.32-30)
  • update to Debian Squeeze kernel 2.6.32-29
  • udpate e1000e driver to 1.2.20
-pve-kernel-2.6.35 (2.6.35-9)
  • update to Ubuntu-2.6.35-24.42
- pve-qemu-kvm (0.13.0-3)
  • fix vnc keyboard altgr/shift emulation
- qemu-server (1.1-28)
  • fix bug in network device naming
  • support new vzdump --stdout option
  • change tab device nameing from "vmtab${vmid}..." to "tap${vmid}...", that is 2 letters shorter (tab interface names are limited to 15 characters)
- vzdump
  • new --stdout option (as suggested by Mario Wolff)

About our kernel branches:
Proxmox VE Kernels

Last edited by a moderator:
NOTE: qemu-server has slightly changed network device naming. If you use a software firewall and use network device names, you may need to adopt your firewall rules.

Hi
any details on this changed device naming would be greatly appreciated.

regards
hk

reading the release notes will help, just take a deeper look on the post.

- qemu-server (1.1-28)

• fix bug in network device naming
  • support new vzdump --stdout option
  • change tab device nameing from "vmtab${vmid}..." to "tap${vmid}...", that is 2 letters shorter (tab interface names are limited to 15 characters)

Indeed this helps - is the changed tab device nameing also the fixed bug or was this something else (and might I be so bold as to ask you which bug you're referring to)?

Would you consider a "--stdin" for vzrestore or am I just being wrong in my opinion some could benefit from this too? (I believe this was discussed on the mailinglist recently)

regards
hk

is the changed tab device nameing also the fixed bug or was this something else (and might I be so bold as to ask you which bug you're referring to)?

That refers to the same bug (was a fix for the fix) - just ignore that line.
Would you consider a "--stdin" for vzrestore or am I just being wrong in my opinion some could benefit from this too?

Just use '-' as archive name.

any details on this changed device naming would be greatly appreciated.

tap${vmid}i${brnum}d${devnum}

vmid .... VM ID
brnum ... the bridge number to connect to
devnum ... we can have more than one network device per bridge, so we need to enumerate them.

Sorry, I think most did not quite understand, why iso translator

you said the name of the interface can change when you make a atulização from 1.6 to 1.7?

ex, I have my file / network / interfaces.

eth1.1 eth1.2 eth1.24 up, these are my VLAN, and each one I have eth1.x vmbr1.1 vmbr1.2 until vmbr1.24

mean if I go to actualize 1.7 I have problems with the name of these interfaces?

thanks

After upgrade I still see old version of qemu-server:

pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.7-10 (pve-manager/1.7/5323)
running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.7-30
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-30
qemu-server: 1.1-25
pve-firmware: 1.0-10
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-16
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-10
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.13.0-3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

Hi,

I have the same issue that ashes has... after aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade I still have qemu-server: 1.1-25

My output:

pve01:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.7-10 (pve-manager/1.7/5323)
running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.7-30
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-30
qemu-server: 1.1-25
pve-firmware: 1.0-10
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-16
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-10
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.13.0-3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

Michu

When using pve-kernel-2.6.35 and proxmox-ve-2.6.35, kernel panics have happened 3 times for 2days.
The message is ''Kernek Panic: not syncing: stack-protector"
What's wrong?

Since I used pve-kernel-2.6.35 on HP Proliant server, I guess it's slightly different to this issue. there is no problem with pve-kernel-2.6.32.

If you install 1.7, you will have 2.6.32 with OpenVZ support. This is fine since Proxmox does support both, OpenVZ and KVM.
Then, if you install ALSO the proxmox-ve-2.6.35 kernel all the OpenVZ stuff will stay here, since you could simply reboot with older kernel.
In addition, vzdump is used for KVM backups also.

N00B question but how do I add the 2.6.35 kernel? I ran update/upgrade but it still only shows 2.6.32 at boot. And is it correct I need the 2.6.35 to run Windows 2008 on more than 1 core?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!