New Proxmox VE kernel 2.6.32 and 2.6.35 released to stable

We just moved our latest 2.6.32 and 2.6.35 Kernel from pvetest to the stable repository. A big thanks to all beta testers!

[...]

- pve-kernel-2.6.32 (2.6.32-30)
  • update to Debian Squeeze kernel 2.6.32-29
  • udpate e1000e driver to 1.2.20

[...]

...you did not update the e1000e driver in kernel 2.6.35 ??

Another remark:
....gave it a try on a fresh base squeeze install where I wanted to tryout ext4 and support
for LSI Megaraid 9240-8i and IBM ServeRaid M1015 respectively.
The RAID controller is not propperly recognised if there are JBOD disks connected.
The driver "megaraid-sas" gets loaded but disks are not shown in /proc/partitions
I noticed that pve 2.6.32 kernel ships the same version of the driver as squeeze (v4.01).
(kernel 2.6.35-1 ships with v4.17 of the driver, which reports the disks OK).

...I installed DKMS and build the latest driver from LSI (v4.37)...with this driver, all is well.
You can find the driver here: http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/internal_raid/megaraid_sas/entry_line/megaraid_sas_9240-8i/index.html

Last edited:
If you install 1.7, you will have 2.6.32 with OpenVZ support. This is fine since Proxmox does support both, OpenVZ and KVM.
Then, if you install ALSO the proxmox-ve-2.6.35 kernel all the OpenVZ stuff will stay here, since you could simply reboot with older kernel.
In addition, vzdump is used for KVM backups also.

I don't understand... Are you saying that if we use OpenVZ containers, we should not upgrade the kernel?

Is support for OpenVZ containers being phased out in future releases of PVE?

Is support for OpenVZ containers being phased out in future releases of PVE?
No, also Proxmox VE 2.x will have OpenVZ but only with Kernel 2.6.32 as no other/higher Kernel is supported form OpenVZ. and this will be a 'long term' maintained version.

If you upgrade to a newer version of 2.6.32, you are fine, since 2.6.32 supports BOTH OpenVZ and KVM.
On the other side, if you upgrade to 2.6.35, you will NOT be able to run OpenVZ container, since that kernel does NOT support OpenVZ. It ONLY supports KVM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!