New Proxmox Server Storage configuration advise

mhermosi

Jun 16, 2023
Hi Foks,

I know this is a common asked question but yet I am trying to see what would be the best option for my config.

I just got a computer and have enough CPU and Ram to run a decent home lab.

The storage available is as follow:
  • One SSD 480 GB where I will install the OS
  • Two 2TB SSD for VM, LXC volumes
I will be running VM's and LXC not production. I Develop software and data persistence is not critical for me. I will have databases for testing which I may backup to restore every time I provision those databases. Filesystems would be dedicated to the containers and vms and for the execution code, some file processing, maybe I will have localstack to have AWS like env or else if I find something better. Maybe I will setup a Kubernetes cluster and big enough to host services and application microservices

I basically want to develop on my laptop, have my code on remote git repos (Github or another) and maybe have a ci/cd tool locally installed probably jenkins but mainly experimentation.

Why do I give all this context. Well because I don't think I need RAID solution so I can use the most of the Storage space for VM's if I have more money in the future I may add more ssd's and build a raid but for the moment I would like to know what would be the best option for:

• The OS SSD (I may add a second one in the future and mirror it)
    • ext4 (default install option)
    • xfs
    • zfs (if I decide to mirror)
    • lvm-thin?
  • For the data storage
    • lvm-thin
    • zfs
    • btrfs?
Should I consider raid for the future?

Thanks in advance for your help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!