New proxmox install with storage server

pintu1228

Aug 20, 2019
Hi, I currently have a supermicro sc933 server with dual xenon x5650 that is used in unraid with 50tb of storage (with about 15tb used).I recently bought a supermicro sc836 with dual e5-2640v2 to do some learning about vms.

I was thinking about running my docker container currently on unraid (radarr, sonarr, plex, nzbget, nextcloud) to proxmox vms/containers

so my questions are:

1. should i install proxmox and migrate my docker containers to proxmox containers? if so, I wanted to use my domain I setup through dedicated pfsense box (r210ii) to give out domain for these services.

2. should I use unraid just strictly as a storage box to transfer my downloads from proxmox to unraid and if so how do I go about doing this so once downloads are completed, they are moved to unraid locations? are there any guides, a I am completely lost??

3. what are your suggestions if this is not the right path?
thanks

From a quick glance unraid can serve for example as NFS server. You could then install PVE on your new server and use your old server as storage server. See our wiki for more information on the different storage types.

if so how do I go about doing this so once downloads are completed, they are moved to unraid locations?
With some storages the directory on your unraid server is simply mounted into your PVE server.

thanks, do you know of any guides or if any other members have used it like this?

Would it be beneficial to use 10gbe network between these 2 servers?

Maybe this reddit post is intersting for you.

Would it be beneficial to use 10gbe network between these 2 servers?
The faster the better.

Update: You can also find some threads in the forum about sonarr etc.

Last edited:
thanks, quick question regarding containers/lxc, what would I use to run these services? a separate vm for each or ubuntu vm with dockers for all these? or lxc containers for each?

I am confused why I would choose VM over LXC container and vice versa.

I am confused why I would choose VM over LXC container and vice versa.
There are many factors to consider. You could start out here.

or lxc containers for each?
One thing to consider is that this way you can interact with your services in a more direct way as you avoid nested virtualization. All container management can then be done from the PVE GUI, e.g.
  • You see all your containers in the resource tree on the left
  • Assigning resources
  • Start and stop of containers
  • Backups

There are many factors to consider. You could start out here.

One thing to consider is that this way you can interact with your services in a more direct way as you avoid nested virtualization. All container management can then be done from the PVE GUI, e.g.
  • You see all your containers in the resource tree on the left
  • Assigning resources
  • Start and stop of containers
  • Backups

So I got this working so far but have introduced 10gbe switch into the mix. So I am using the Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN. I am lost on how to setup this in terms of proxmox LXC container. So I have 2 containers (plex and nextcloud) created and working. I have added nfs mount point to my unraid box (where all my storage is located). They are accessible via proxy server from pfsense. I have my unraid server and proxmox server (under pvs->network) in its own ip network (192.168.88.1/24), along with the mikrotik switch.

My questions are:

1. I assume when I try to access plex.domain.com to point to the lxc container it is using gigabit port to reach my proxox server, is this correct?

2. I want be able to still access nextcloud and plex domain from the outside but when proxmox lxc containers needs to acccess to my data on the unraid box(via NFS), it doesn't seem to be going through the 10gbe connection but rather the 1gbe, how do I fix this? Do I need separate network connections for both 1gbe and 10gbe for each lxc container?

Sorry if I confused you.

Thanks

Answering this is a little tricky without knowing about your exact network setup (e.g. graphical network plan). Depending on this, it could well be that you need two separate networks in your containers to get 10 GE. You might also need to tweak settings on your router. If you haven't done so yet, you should start by reading the Network Configuration chapter in the Proxmox VE Documentation.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!