New Mobile App for Proxmox VE!

It may come better across if one first asks if there are any Google Play libraries used, when they are not able to audit the open source code for themselves, and not plain starting out to imply that this is the case, from some possible completely unrelated observation. We really try hard to provide a fully Open Source experience here, that's why an implication of willingly linking against proprietary libraries, even if we state otherwise, is taken rather serious.

Anyway, it'd be great if you can share some more information - i.e., Device, Android Distribution used (and which version) what tool was used for the app extraction, was there anything to be seen before the crash, ...

I just tested the app on an GAPPS free Android-x86 VM (a 8.1 based was the one I could get my hands on the quickest, the others surprisingly all shipped GAPPS), and there it works fine out of the box - didn't need to alter a single thing.
I uploaded a build here: https://lamprecht.org/download/pve/pve-mobile-app/pve-mobile-testbuild.apk (sha256sum 2a1ce7d831151bc2043497179e985e20c33cfa757cf417db39bd81d9a01bb2ce)
Maybe you get around to test that.

Running the app on Sailfish OS and it works perfectly.
Please release it on open platforms as F-Droid

Thanks for the great work!

I fail to see an option to connect to a VM console, is that supported?.

Also, I'm after enabling U2F authentication is that supported by the app?

I fail to see an option to connect to a VM console, is that supported?.
Not yet but hopefully available soon. Right now you can use Spice in combination with the Opague Spice client.

Also, I'm after enabling U2F authentication is that supported by the app?
What would you have in mind?

There is a patch in the pipeline which gives you the option to use a fingerprint to unlock the app.

Not yet but hopefully available soon. Right now you can use Spice in combination with the Opague Spice client.

What would you have in mind?

There is a patch in the pipeline which gives you the option to use a fingerprint to unlock the app.
I've installed Opague but I don't see how to use it from the app. Should I enable something?

Regarding u2f, the idea is to use a physical token + password as 2FA. The web interface seems to support it, although one token per account. I've used this type of 2FA with U2F in the Nextcloud Android app too so with proper hardware should be doable.

I've installed Opague but I don't see how to use it from the app. Should I enable something?
The Opague - rhev, ovrt proxmox client?

In that case, if you have the Console button available in the row where you see Power settings and Options, click on it, open the spice file and the Opague client should open it. This works for LXC containers, the hosts themselves and VMs that have SPICE configured.

Regarding u2f, the idea is to use a physical token + password as 2FA. The web interface seems to support it, although one token per account. I've used this type of 2FA with U2F in the Nextcloud Android app too so with proper hardware should be doable.
Okay I see. Could you please open a new enhancement request in our bug tracker (https://bugzilla.proxmox.com)? The PVE product has a component APP (Flutter GUI). Otherwise, I can do that myself.

One last question, do you use the U2F device on your phone or a tablet as I imagine it a bit of a hassle to connect a USB device? Or do you have one that works via NFC?

I have my proxmox management behind a generic URL which sits behind Ha-Proxy. Via browser etc,.. it all works. Even VNC/Spice. However, the app immediately says "Connection error - Could not establish connection".

Any specifics you guys are doing for validation? It's running a valid cert by the way, via the HA-Proxy.

I have my proxmox management behind a generic URL which sits behind Ha-Proxy. Via browser etc,.. it all works. Even VNC/Spice. However, the app immediately says "Connection error - Could not establish connection".

Any specifics you guys are doing for validation? It's running a valid cert by the way, via the HA-Proxy.
Hmm, I just checked the code and if there is a problem with the SSL handshake, you should get presented with the option to disable the SSL validation.

The error message you see means that something else went wrong. Did you set the port correctly? Is your phone allowed to access the HA Proxy (firewall access rules, IP filters, ...)?

The Opague - rhev, ovrt proxmox client?

In that case, if you have the Console button available in the row where you see Power settings and Options, click on it, open the spice file and the Opague client should open it. This works for LXC containers, the hosts themselves and VMs that have SPICE configured.

Okay I see. Could you please open a new enhancement request in our bug tracker (https://bugzilla.proxmox.com)? The PVE product has a component APP (Flutter GUI). Otherwise, I can do that myself.

One last question, do you use the U2F device on your phone or a tablet as I imagine it a bit of a hassle to connect a USB device? Or do you have one that works via NFC?
Hello,

I couldn't see the icon for SPICE, will try again. For U2F, I use an USB/NFC key: https://www.amazon.com/Feitian-ePas...tian+u2f&qid=1606285290&s=electronics&sr=1-15

Can you please post that CTs config, I'd guess that the manually added lxc.idmap stuff not supported in any of our GUIs are the issue... Having an actual look to confirm that would be great, we may want to just plainly ignore any lxc. config property in the app.

Is there any news?

RE CA certificate.
I have added the relevant CA certificate to the Android user cert store. Should the Proxmox android app recognise this? I still seem to have to turn off SSL validation.

any news for IOS?
No, I'm afraid, if you have an newer update about the licensing issues than the one from the FSF:
That's the problem in a nutshell: Apple's Terms of Service impose restrictive limits on use and distribution for any software distributed through the App Store, and the GPL doesn't allow that.
-- https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/more-about-the-app-store-gpl-enforcement
I'd be happy to read it, I mean it's ten years old and while it talks about AGPL it doesn't explicitly defines if this is still an issue with AGPLv3.

Even if that got sorted out, we cannot guarantee that Apple accepts the app as is, we'd simply need to try that.
Naturally a machine with macOS running would be required for us to build it, there are workarounds but I guess those won't help getting the app included into the Apple app store.

We may just try it next year, but I cannot promise anything on the results here.

Reactions: wbk
Wow, missed this somehow!
Great UI. Really beats the default web client on mobile.
This VE just gets better and better.

Reactions: aaron
I don't understand why you invest time and money into a standalone app just for Android when you could develop a better mobile device view which works in all mobile browsers. HTML5 and Javascript is really powerful these days.

Seems you missed details about the used technology here, start reading on https://flutter.dev/

Can't such an app be distributed via the web-server instead of packaging it as a stand-alone app?
in general, flutter can be exported to the web, but that is still very experimental and the performance is very bad last we tested it (e.g. for a medium sized list (several hundred entries) it was nearly impossible to comfortably use)

Hi,

Works fine! Thank you,

Is it possible to Clone VM? Or to create new one? Or it was written and I missed it?

Thanks,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!