New mini-itx Proxmox Build

Re: New Micro-atx Proxmox Build

Estimated 13 November - 5 December, however I believe it will arrive by the end of the week ☺

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Re: New Mini-itx Proxmox Build

Is the Mobo still not delivered ?

Finally it is, got it half an hour ago :) Will try to put everything together tonight of course. Two questions - 1. is there a list of folders that needs to be mounted on a real/network drive (/var, /tmp, VM/CT has been mentioned by kobuki in a previous post) 2. This post is becoming too long - is it OK to create a new one about installation, performance etc, for sure I'll have more questions?

Finally it is, got it half an hour ago :) Will try to put everything together tonight of course. Two questions - 1. is there a list of folders that needs to be mounted on a real/network drive (/var, /tmp, VM/CT has been mentioned by kobuki in a previous post) 2. This post is becoming too long - is it OK to create a new one about installation, performance etc, for sure I'll have more questions?
You settled with using an SSD, not a USB pen drive, so I'd say you don't need those tricks. Put the Proxmox volumes/partitons on the SSD. For smaller loads and for testing, at home, etc. you can put your VMs (or some of them) on the SSD too.

Is that true only for the C2758? I regularly use C2558 to build firewalls and vLan.
Guys, could you please enlighten me, why is hardware support for VLANs so important in this case? I've always been able to use VLANs on the cheapest Gb nics. It's working nicely using the Linux kernel's VLAN code. VLANs are essentially just ethernet frames tagged with a VLAN ID. They should be forwarded without restrictions in any ethernet device with a working, decent driver.

You settled with using an SSD, not a USB pen drive, so I'd say you don't need those tricks. Put the Proxmox volumes/partitons on the SSD. For smaller loads and for testing, at home, etc. you can put your VMs (or some of them) on the SSD too.

I have a 16gb san disk extreme which I am willing to use for this, the board have a nice internal Usb 3.0 port which is perfect for it. My plan is (was? it will be way easier to follow your advice as I see it, no good guide/wiki/anything really useful to be found as well, probably there is a good reason for this) to use the usb for proxmox and ssd for the vm's adding one or more velocity raptors later, the board have enough usb ports, not to mention that the case is a bit of overkill and feels empty. It is nice, easy and fun to build though, if someone is interested how it looks I can post photos, I really enjoyed it. Anyway I got stuck on "no cd rom found" yesterday and since the only vga port left in the house is on the tv (of course I don't have 24+1 pin adapter needed for my monitor) the fight against big brother show was quickly lost :) Proxomox iso was dd-it to the usb, ssd is recognized by the board. From what I've read it shouldn't be a problem to "inject" the iso inside \_ISO\MAINMENU folder and boot from it, will test it tonight and report.

Last edited:
You could use the excellent IPMI feature with full kvm support over the LAN... just sayin'

True enough, I just ignored its existence :confused: due to the lack of habit using it - this is my first board with it. It works flawlessly, though!

Anyway the real issue was with the usb installation - I failed again and again with "no cd rom found" no matter what I did. The wiki https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_from_USB_Stick simply doesn't work with 3.3 (tried dd, tried os forensic, re-downloaded the iso, changed the usb stcik and did everything again, tried putting the iso in _iso/mainmenu folder, got stuck on chroot part of this post, SSD was recognized by the mobo, however, fdisk -l result was "no valid partition table" which I created with it, then it was ok), maybe it was working with version 2.* but not anymore. Suse ImageWritter on windows 8/8.1 x64 - no way, imho rufus is doing way better job than both of windows tools advised in the wiki. I couldn't find any useful tip/guide/advice how to make the usb installation work and this is supposed to be a relatively simple task, despite the fact that I am not using Linux every day. Out of patience I burned the iso on a dvd and just pulled dvd drive (which I didn't used in the past year, these devices are simply becoming obsolete) from my pc, connected it to the server and from this point installation went smoothly as expected and me following kobuki advice installed everything on the SSD which was there with valid partition written in my previous attempts. After the installation finished I left it running and went to bed - it is still running fine this morning. Please note that I do not reject the option that I did something wrong or not on the way it's supposed to, may be missed something or mobo doesn't like me or doesn't like proxmox - it was just a frustrating experience for me and lack of good guide didn't helped at all - if someone can provide me/help me with it I'll gladly reinstall everything to test it, I am still mad and want to make the usb installation running, it's almost 2015, it should work!!! and to be honest I want to know why it wasn't working on a first place.

After installation are you then able to mount the usb stick? Maybe your problem is caused by the old kernel in proxmox not having a driver for your chipset/usb 3.0.

After installation are you then able to mount the usb stick? Maybe your problem is caused by the old kernel in proxmox not having a driver for your chipset/usb 3.0.

Could be, will try and post the result later.

How did the itx build turn out?
Sorry for my delayed reply - It's really OK for a home server, very stable with 3.3, NIC's recognized, spice is working, I even virtualized my VyOS firewall without too much hassle. IMHO a nice box with additional fans is a must, cpu is getting quite hot under pressure. Added another 16GB of RAM and another 256GB ssd, sadly it's never enough :) Just started rebuilding everything (with 3.4) to make it more tight and kind of get more involved because proxmox is awesome, before that I used to have 8-10 vm's, mostly windows servers with good performance. The only minor issues I had was with plex server on top of a windows 7 machine, videos were stuttering when played in a browser - acceptable workaround was to give the machine 8 cores with 4 gigs of RAM, moving the windows itself to an ssd. The other one was not recognized virtio hdd during a server 2012 core installation, had no time to fight it and just used an ide due to the sata snapshot limitation. Dunno what else to say, if someone is interested in something I'll try to reply aster this time.

No problem with the delays. I lost my Proxmox test machine because of a couple major issues I was experiencing with Windows VMs so I haven't been very active here myself.

The new plan is to get a A1SAi-2750 (pretty much the same mobo as you have) for a dedicated firewall. I'm going to do some Proxmox/Linux VM testing on it before hand. Interesting that you have Windows VMs running on it.

No problem with the delays. I lost my Proxmox test machine because of a couple major issues I was experiencing with Windows VMs so I haven't been very active here myself.The new plan is to get a A1SAi-2750 (pretty much the same mobo as you have) for a dedicated firewall. I'm going to do some Proxmox/Linux VM testing on it before hand. Interesting that you have Windows VMs running on it.
I had no problems with windows and kvm. A1SAi-2750 should be faster (turbo boost), however, when I was building my server I couldn't approve the extra 30-40$ for it. Mine runs well with pfsense too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!