New Installation

Naresh Avunoori

Apr 2, 2024
Hello,

I am starting newly to explore the proxmox. Could you please someone guide me in the right direction?
Eg:
  1. Installation
  2. Configuration
  3. Network Configuration
  4. Storage configuration.
I have installed Virtual Environment 8.1.4 in OnBoard USB flash Drive, is it good practice?
I don't see other Storage Disks, after the installation, Due to the USB flash Drive, how

OnBoard USB flash Drive
No, HDD or SSD is minimum requirement. PVE will kill the stick quickly and your server will fail.

I am starting newly to explore the proxmox. Could you please someone guide me in the right direction?
Eg:
  1. Installation
  2. Configuration
  3. Network Configuration
  4. Storage configuration.
A way too general question. There are whole books about this. Nothing someone could quickly summarize for you.
Especially without any description about your network, hardware and expected workload.

Thank you for the information.

as an evaluation, I am trying to set up this in an old Hardware Dell PowerEdge T420 using Life Cycle Controller. where I am not able to Identify the Proxmox OS details in the list of operating systems.

1. Dell Supports the below only what Should I choose?
    • Dell EMC-supported operating systems such as Microsoft Windows Server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux and SuSe Enterprise Linux with optionally automated installation of Dell EMC driver
    • Any other operating system with required drivers manually installed.
  2. I am trying with other operating system with the boot mode BIOS, since UEFI doesn't have an option for other OS. where the Bootable Media not found error I see. Bootable media was created with Rufus and tested its working.
  3. What should be the recommended boot mode for proxmox? BIOS / UEFI.
  4. what is the recommended RAID configuration?
    • I have RAID 0 hardware

I'm not familiar with Life Cycle Controller or anything similar but in the backbones PVE is a modified Debain so install process for Debian generally applies.
For boot mode you should choose UEFI and make sure the USB stick you use for OS installation supports UEFI. If the USB stick does not support UEFI then you'll see a Bootable Media not Found error message.

For storage options:
For testing purpose I'd recommend one single SSD with no RAID.
For production I'd recommend software based storage pooling backed by pure SSDs, such as zfs.
Generally speaking, all RAID modes expect RAID 1 are history.

Last edited:
Any Hardware support that PVE follows like VMware? or just like a min Hardware req like CPU, memory etc. ?
I guess no "certified server model list" exists as PVE is in someway a Linux distro so you'll probably only see min hardware requirements as CPU x Core x GHz, memory x GB, etc.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!