new backup format

vitor costa

Oct 28, 2009
until proxmox 2.2 the kvm backup file is tar.gz ou tar.lzo. Now have vma.gz ou vma.lzo.

I have a script to test backup file integrid:

for i in *.tar.lzo; do tar --lzop -xf $i -O > /dev/null 2> /dev/null;

rc=$?
if [[ $rc != 0 ]] ; then
echo Fail in $i
else
echo OK in $i
fi

With vma this not work... Any ideias ?

and is possible use a command to extract vma to check is ok ? or maybe checking lzo output can be enough ?

or maybe a qmrestore --check option ?

This file validation is very important. I see many time vzdump generate invalid files ( dont know why, but is very often)

Is there a page somewhere that provides more information on the vma format? I'm curious if it carries any new features or benefits.

From googling I can see there are some things on the full spec in mailing lists, but I was thinking more along the lines of a page with something like "Now with 20% more backup magic!"...or whatever points make the vma format better than just using tar.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!