Networking Troubles with LXC Ubuntu 18.04

pokey

Mar 14, 2021
I have been trying to connect my container running the Ubuntu 18.04 template to my network (and by extension the internet), however, I cannot configure netplan to send data.

/etc/netplan/config.yaml

YAML:
network:
    version: 2
    renderer: networkd
    ethernets:
        eth0:
            dhcp4: no
            dhcp6: no
            addresses: [192.168.86.43/24]
            gateway4: 192.168.86.1
            nameservers:
                addresses: [8.8.8.8]

Netplan config will generate and apply without any issues and ip a verifies that eth0 is connected to the specified ipv4 address. From within the local network, I can ping the container and receive a response as expected. I also checked that this ip does not interfere with any other system on the network.

The problems come when I try to ping any server, whether it be the router, another computer on the local network, a public ip address, or a domain. Errors range from Destination Host Unreachable to generic DNS-related error messages.

I believe the problem most likely stems from my lack of knowledge concerning bridges and configuration on the web interface. This container is connected to a manual bridge, vmbr1, with an identical ip address and gateway to that of the server. I have also verified that the device interface name is eth0. I have tried many different configurations with netplan, but cannot seem to actually setup a proper connection.

All help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Can you show the network config of the node? It is stored in /etc/network/interfaces.

This container is connected to a manual bridge, vmbr1, with an identical ip address and gateway to that of the server.
This is most likely the problem but with the actual config file we can see exactly where the problem is and how to fix it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!