Network traffic causes connection to dropout

mohbandy

Mar 15, 2019
I recently got my hands on a Dell r720XD, installed proxmox on a SSD, and am getting started with an ubuntu and OpenMediaVault VM. OMV I plan to use as my primary NAS, along with docker and a few containers - everything seems to be working as expected.

The issue I am having is now that I have my shared folders created and samba service running I am ready to transfer my data. From my windows machine, I kick off a continuous ping to see how OMV responds. Once I kick off a scp or rsync or drag and drop across samba shares I can instantly see the pings start to take longer and longer until timeout; my web GUI for OMV also stops responding.
The larger the files to transfer, the worse the problem gets. I can transfer gigs of music files and the ping replies hover around 300-800ms. If I transfer a single gigabyte movie file, the pings will start to timeout, but the file will transfer. If I try to stream the video, success depends on the player.

I have tested the disk performance to make sure my raid setup wasn't thrashing about and the results seem reasonable:
# sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/vda
/dev/vda:
Timing cached reads: 18324 MB in 1.99 seconds = 9201.19 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 258 MB in 3.02 seconds = 85.41 MB/sec​

My hunch is that my issue has got to be with the network settings in proxmox and/or how OMV's network is configured.

There are 4 NICs available to proxmox, but the interfaces file looks like:

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.72
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
bridge_ports eno1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

iface eno2 inet manual

iface eno3 inet manual

iface eno4 inet manual​

I hadn't looked at the network settings in proxmox, but this looks bad. I think I want to dedicate 1 NIC to my OMV vm, preferably pass-through the raw device and install drivers in the VM (as opposed to a virtual bridge to that device). Before traveling down that path, does this approach sound like it would fix my issue or do people think I have other issues?

For considering this issue it would be good to have a comprehensive overview about your system. Run
Code:
pvereport
and specify which the VM has which role.

Generally speaking: pass-through is experimental, you can give it a try but the normal way to dedicate a physical NIC for a certain VM is rather to assign it to a bridge (e.g. vmbr1) without IP in the host and use is just in the VM.

I did see that pass-through didn't seem to be officially blessed, but figured it was worth a shot. I will try tonight setting up a dedicated bridge for just my vm 101.

VMs:
100 <-- just a ubuntu 18 vm, haven't really done much with it
101 <-- OMV, this is the guy I'm having this networking issue with

Sorry, newbie to the forums...

Attachments

• pvereport.txt
    44.7 KB · Views: 8
hey,
i was looking for the same issue and came across this thread.. can anyone provide another solution??
thanks in advance.
best regards!!

I created a dedicated virtual network interface and my problem went away. I also was messing with my network topology so I feel like that is worth mentioning

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!