nested / tree snapshots with proxmox?

hkais

Feb 3, 2020
Hi out there!

I am wondering what I did wrong that I cannot create tree-snapshots / nested snapshots with proxmox?
Means something like

Code:
-+-aSnapshot01
 |   |
 |   +-aSnapshot01-subSnap01
 |   |   |
 |   |   +-aSnapshot01-subSnap01-subSubSnap01
 |   |   |
 |   |   +-aSnapshot01-subSnap01-subSubSnap01
 |   |
 |   |
 |   +-aSnapshot01-subSnap02
 |
 +- aSnapshot02

I am coming from vmware vshpere / esxi and there I could use this feature back the last 10y. So wondering if this feature is simply missing or if I did something wrong?

Tree snapshots, if i'm right about what you are using are something similar when you have a regular lvm-thin storage, so you take snapshots,and you can revert to any of them. In zfs you can only go back to the last one.

Proxmox has full support for nested snapshots if the storage also supports it (for example the default lvm-thin storage).

Last edited:
thanks for the answers, so the backend storage has to support it.

Let me try to summarize:

ZFS
can only linear going back in one path, no nesting?
In my above example only
aSnapshot01 > aSnapshot01-subSnap01 > aSnapshot01-subSnap01-subSubSnap01
or
aSnapshot01 > aSnapshot01-subSnap02
or
aSnapshot02
is possible

LVM
can only linear going back in one path, no nesting?

LVM-thin
shall be able to handle the nested tree snapshots?

ceph?
?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!